Chapter 1

March 8, '15
10:34am; earlier that day

     "I'm going to make your cereal soggy if you don't hurry up!" I panicked for a moment, slowly easing up for my bed. I let out a groggy moan as a reply, swinging my legs lazily over my bed.

   I shook myself awake, stretching as I stood up. I walked to my mirror, fingering combing my hair quickly. I rubbed my eyes, trying to look like I wasn't a zombie.

   It hasn't even been ten minutes since I got up but I can tell this day is going to be terrible. It's almost eleven am on a Sunday and here I am, mentally preparing myself for school.

   I hate school so much, but for a girl who wants to drop out every five seconds, I have pretty good grades. All A's for the past five years, except for one time in 6th grade when my teacher wouldn't bump up my grade from a 89.5% to a 90%.

   I still hate that teacher. She never called me Des (pronounced Dez) either.

   I nearly tripped on the way downstairs, briefly catching myself before I face planted into hard wooden flooring. My legs don't work as good as they probably should in the morning, even after I move about.

   "Mornin' mom," I mumbled, plopping myself down in a tall chair at our small kitchen table.

   "Goodmorning Des, I thought you'd never get up." I playfully rolled my eyes at her, trying to hide that fact I had planned on not getting up for the rest of the year.

   "Ha-ha, very funny mom."

   I got up and grabbed some of my favorite cereal and milk, seeing she did not soak my cereal.
I have an addiction to this brand of cereal called Oats and Granola. My favorite kind is the triple berry.

   I quickly ate, while rereading the box of course, even though I memorized what it says. I set my bowl in the sink, jogging upstairs to try to tame my hair, struggling to pull the brush through my brown knotted strands.

   I finally decided to put it into a side braid to get it over and done with, making sure it looked alright. I grabbed my makeup bag and put on some light mascara with very thin eyeliner.

   I threw together an outfit that consisted of light washed jeans and a tan cardigan. I hoped I at least looked decent for the principal. I grabbed my phone from my charger, rushing down the stairs. I mentally checked over everything in my head, making sure I had my stuff in order.

   I walked outside, a nice breeze chilling my skin as it hit. I opened the car door, taking my time getting in. My mom just chuckled to herself, knowing I was trying to avoid this day.

   I turned on the radio, settling on a station that was playing Mirrors by Justin Timberlake.

   Clicking the small green messaging icon, I selected my chat with my old friends.

Des🌺: I'm going to the school now. Hopefully I don't kms

Mac🌻: have fun !!

Ky🌴: try not to do that btw

   Besides the car radio, the silence between us was slowly broken by my mom.

   "Are you excited?" She asked, adding a hint of exaggeration to her tone. I almost laughed, trying to conceal it since she seemed slightly serious.

   "Why would I be excited?" I could tell she wanted to roll her eyes at my response, but stopped herself from doing so.

   "C'mon, lighten up."

   I just stared out of the window for the rest of the ride.

*****

     I stared at he front of the school as we pulled into a worn down parking space. This place looked so... different.

   I don't know what it was about this place, the eerie vibe it gave off. My old high school seemed so much more comfortable and not creepy?

   We slowly walked up, the sun faded away behind clouds. I let her open the door first, already feeling my outside personality coming out.

   We walked in, cluelessly looking around at doors. My mom hesitated in reaching for the office door, but didn't even have to knock before someone answered.
The older lady first shook hands with her first, then me.

   "Hello Destiny, I'm Mrs. Clariston. Nice to meet you." She spoke way too formally, acting like she was above me. I held the urge to run out the doors and shook her hand nicely back.

   "Hi, nice to meet you too." I mentally groaned in my head, ready to be done with this.

   "I've chosen a student in your grade to give you a quick tour of the school, so you can find your way around a bit. He's a very nice student as well as good in academics. He's in my office, let me go get him."

   As she walked away I turned and faced my mom for a moment, mumbling, "I hate this place already." I faced the doorway again.

   Both of them soon walked out, wearing an outfit that seemed very formal and a little over done for this occasion.

   "Matthew, make sure you show her the music room. I've heard she's a musician." I blushed, my eyes traveling to the ground again to hide my face. My mom must have put that on the enrollment form.

   We started walking and I nervously stared at my shoes, not liking the awkwardness in the air.

   "You're not going to get a very good tour if you're not looking," He said, letting out a faint laugh. I looked up and softly smiled. I didn't know what to say in reply.

   "Is your name Matt?" You're such a dumbass Des. You knew his na—

   "Well, it's Matthew but I usually go by Matt. What's yours?" I froze for a moment, not realizing he had asked a question.

   "I'm Destiny. I like to go by Des."

   "That's a beautiful name... It fits for a beautiful girl like you." I felt my face heat once again at the comment. He may be cheesy but he was also really cute.

   "Thank you, Matthew." I could feel him lightly smirk at my response.

   "You're welcome, Destiny."

   Maybe this school wasn't going to be that bad.