⚡️ Chapter 1 ⚡️

Start from the beginning

Vega simply hummed in response, not bothered over sharing a bed with her.

For a moment, there was silence between them, and Vega thought that Dora had gone asleep.

"Why doesn't he love me, Vega?" Dora asked in a whisper from behind and Vega kept her eyes on the ground, staring at the fainting light. "Am I... not good enough? Is there something I must change for him to look at me?"

"I... don't think it's any your fault," Vega replied quietly. "He must think that... he is too old for you, and dangerous, and that he wouldn't be able to care for you... and I do understand where he is coming from – and I'm sure he thinks you will get hurt if you hang around him, especially since he is going through Sirius's...."

"How can you say that, Vega?" Dora mumbled. "Don't tell me you agree with him,"

"I do agree with him – that he is too old and dangerous for you," Vega confessed. "But I also think that he is quite wrong in thinking that thing of that sort would stop you from feeling affection for him – it's not how love works, of course,"

"It's more than affection – I love him, Vega," Dora told her. "He thinks that I'm being childish with my persistence but it is true that I love him with whole my heart,"

"Dora... why do you say that?" Vega whispered.

Silence fell upon them once again and Vega almost turned around to look over her shoulder to see what Dora was feeling when a spiral of light balled out into existence over them. Vega stared at the spectre, watching the Patronus shift and within seconds, a silvery wolf ran around the length of Vega's bedroom until it dissolved into a ball and vanished.

The silence persisted amongst the two females as Vega processed what she had just witnessed, feeling her insides go cold when she realised that Dora really did love Lupin, and suddenly, she felt sorrow for her cousin over her plight.

"When did this happen?" Vega asked quietly.

"Two weeks ago," Dora answered. "Am I wrong to feel this?"

"No," Vega replied. "You're not wrong at all... no, it's okay to love, I think... even though we're facing an uncertain future, it's okay to love. I don't think it is childish to love, and I think Professor Lupin will come around if he loves you, too – and I'm sure he does. You're lovely the way you are, and even if he doesn't love you, you are perfect as you are,"

That had been a few days ago, and Dora had fully returned to her duties and was quite busy away from home.

Vega had returned to her sorrowful misery, unable to find anything to distract her – she was trying to finish with her homework and she had not yet gotten her results back from Hogwarts. She took care of her animals and garden but it was starting to become a routine that didn't spark anything in her as she was mostly lost in thoughts.

Uncharacteristically, she even went out of her way to go and play some cricket with the local kids but most of them kept talking about the World Cup that had happened earlier in the year and Vega hadn't watched it yet so she couldn't give any input.

How do you explain to someone you're a witch?

In the end, Vega just told them that she was off in her boarding school where they didn't have any television and that she had gotten herself busy with her O-Level exams. It seemed fair to them but she couldn't get in with their conversation about the matches.

I wish you lot played Quidditch, I know that.

And with that, having nothing more to do, Vega returned back to her bedroom where she laid day and night, staring at any particular corner of the room and waiting for the day to just go by until she would get to do something worthwhile, maybe studies.