Chapter 20: Birthday 06/19

Start from the beginning

"Kyaa! Noo~ It's in my hair!" (Kisaragi)

"I'm so sorry!" (Samidare)

In true Samidare fashion, the clumsy Destroyer tripped over nothing again and spilled a bowl of takoyaki batter onto Kiasaragi.

"Hey, Yuudachi! What did I say about sneaking a bite?" (Mamiya)

"Poi~~!" (Yuudachi)

In the evening, the mess hall is in chaos as the girls do their best to set up the party. We have been doing this for months and years and it's still the same chaotic scene. This is oddly pleasing, knowing that they haven't changed.

"Kisaragi, hurry up and get that all that batter out of your hair. It's going to dry and stick if you don't wash it out immediately. Mamiya, just focus on the cake. Yuudachi and I will handle the batter mix. Shigure, Murasame, help me pump and scatter the balloons. Yuubari, get more helium tanks. Samidare, go help Shiratsuyu find more decorations."

I went to help mix the batter while the others did the tasks assigned to them. It was chaotic but we managed to prep everything before the birthday girl came back.

"Suzuya says they are just outside." (Kumano)

"Alright, you all know what to do."

"C'mon. Let's go in!" (Suzuya)

"Wait. Suzuya. Don't push me." (Zuihou)

As soon as the door opens, the confetti starts flying and the party poppers start popping,

""HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!" (Everyone)

"Wow! Thank you!" (Zuihou)

Yuudachi grabbed Zuihou's hand and pulled her in,

"Come on in! We have cake poi!" (Yuudachi)

"You just want to eat the cake, don't you?" (Asashio)

After singing the birthday song and blowing out of the candles, it was present giving time. As per traditional, I went first,

"Here. Happy birthday."

I passed her the small box. Zuihou had this puzzled look on her face. I expected and was hoping for such a reaction, since I usually give her plane models. Zuihou unwrapped and opened it to reveal a brown yugake glove.

"This is..." (Zuihou)

"I thought of giving you something new this year. Your glove is getting worn out already right? I got Akashi to  create it for me. It should be tougher than your old one."

"I just sewed and put it together. Admiral is the one who provided the design and materials."

The glove has a small phoenix pattern on it,  but before I could get to that part, she jumped on me.

"I'm so happy!!! Thank you!!!  Thank you!!!" (Zuihou)

I hugged her tightly,

"Your welcome. Glad you like it."

"Unn! I love it!" (Zuihou)

After me, it was the others. The girls gave their well-wishes and presents. Everyone was enjoying the cake and all the other food that was prepared. The older girls drank and made merry. The celebration lasted till 10.30pm, when everyone needs to go to bed. The younger Destroyers wanted to stay behind to help with the clean up but I got most of them to go to bed first. Mamiya, Fusou, Yamashiro, Shouhou, Kumano and Shimakaze stayed behind to clean up with me. Shimakaze was bouncing around so hopefully getting her to clean will burn off some of that excess energy.

I tied the last bag of rubbish and placed it at our dump.

"And we are done. Thanks, guys."

"Don't mention it. Anyway, we are doing this two days later again." (Yamashiro)