Chapter 34-Getting better

Start from the beginning

///

Connor repeatedly kissed her forehead, reassuring her that he was here for her.
"You don't have to keep going if you don't want to" he whispered to her, noticing her period of silence.
"No, it's fine" she hastily wiped her cheek.

///

"Ava Bekker?" The women called from the desk. Ava bounced her leg anxiously, gripping her jacket.
Ava followed the women who gave her a medical gown. Ava got changed and followed the women into a second room. The rooms and halls were bleak with the odd pink accent and the lights were too bright.

"Hi Ava, I'm Dr. Leon. Can you pop up on the chair for me?" She could see his friendly smile under his mask.
Ava got up on the chair and her legs were covered by a blanket.
"Sharp scratch" a nurse said, fitting in her IV.
"I believe your also a Doctor, Ava? I saw it on your paper work"
"Surgeon" Ava muttered, staring at the pale ceiling.
"You might feel a bit sleepy" the nurse injected the medicine into her. Ava's eyes closed slowly as the ceiling disappeared and a mask went over her face.

When Ava woke up she was stiff and laying in a hospital bed. The curtain in front of her flew back suddenly and a nurse came in.
"Hi love, try drink something" she left her a glass of water and a moose.
"Thanks" Ava winced, giving her a half smile.
Ava slipped her water and pulled back on her clothes.

Ava took her moose and left her room.
"Ava Bekker" she told the desk.
"Is someone here to collect you?"
Ava looked around the waiting room and spotted Dr. Lathem.
"Yeah" she nodded to him.
"You can expect some nausea and or vomiting. It it last more then 24 hours contact us immediately and you can expect some light bleeding, if it gets heavy contact us immediately" the women handed her four large pads.
"Thanks" Ava breathed, walking over to Dr. Lathem.
They walked out of the clinic together in the rain, Latham, to no surprise had an umbrella to shelter them from the rain.

Ava shut the door behind her as she climbed into the pass her seat. She gave isadore the keys and followed her arms around her. Ava closed her eyes but noticed the car didn't start.
"What's are you doing?" She asked, noticing him fiddling with the chair and mirrors.
"I'm adjusting to the correct driving position"
Ava closed her eyes again and waited for the car to start.

They drove together in silence, well below the speed limit.
"You know Dr. Bekker in judaism we don't believe life begins at conception, we believe a foetus is mearly water until 40 days" Lathem told her.
"Oh, I didn't know that" Ava lifted her head, "my father was Jewish"

God they really must have given me the good meds

"He never really raised me to religious, but I would go to the synagogue with him in the odd time, drive him around and cook for him on shabott so he didn't have to use electricity" Ava popped open her moose, taking a spoon of it she turned it over on her tongue, letting it coat her mouth.
"I was unaware of this fact about your family" Dr. Lathem nodded.
"From your word choice, I gather he is no longer with us"
"No, heart attack" Ava sighed, "I enknowlage I irony of that"
Dr. Lathem nodded again and they confused driving. Without even realising it Ava found her face covered in tears, her breathing laboured.
Lathem finally removed his hands from the ten and two position and patted one on Ava's shoulder. "It will be okey, Dr. Bekker"
"You can call me Ava, I think we're well past formalities" she wiped her eye with the back of her hand.
"Everything will be okey, Ava"

///

"He drove me home, and we chatted for a bit, it was nice" Ava said, her voice slightly hoarse from crying.
Connor stroked her hair, pulling there for heads away from each other.
"When did, when did he-" Connor whispered, afraid to say it.
"The night I went to ask him for the money for the Hybrid OR" Ava shivered, pulling herself closer to Connors warmth.
"I never should have believed him over you, Avey" he shook his head vigorously, tears dripping down his cheeks into her hair.
"And I never should have made you go to that stupid gala" he cursed, remembering how he left Ava alone. Ava didn't say anything, she just curled somehow closer to him.