You're Not A Digidevil

There was a loud pop and a fizzle coming from the garage. Solazar didn't own any explosives, so his first thought was a robbery.

But who would come to such a remote and isolated location just to rob a single person? As well off as Solazar was, he didn't possess many riches that couldn't be found anywhere else in much more abundance.

He checked around the area, but there was no sign of a break-in. However, there was a writhing snake of black smoke that curled around a container of old laser discs that Solazar had long forgotten about. The case was completely destroyed as well as many of the discs.

In the center of the burning mass was a small, red figure. It shifted with a soft warble.

It was alive.

Something clicked in the back of Solazar's mind. A species born from electronics.

A digidevil. Here in his garage. She yawned and blinked her large, white eyes.

Solazar cautiously bent down to the newborn, gently poking her sides. She chirped at the sudden sensation and rolled over onto her side. A warm feeling blossomed in Solazar's chest. He felt the sudden urge to protect the small creature born in his home.

"Come here little one," he murmured in a quiet and gentle tone. The digidevil tilted her head up at the sound of his voice. Solazar carefully scooped her up off the floor and cradled her in the crook of his arm. She instantly readjusted herself and settled into his embrace with a soft sigh. It made his heart swell.

He brushed his warm hand over her back, earning a quiet purr that vibrated in her chest.

"How does the name 'Aldryx' sound?"

———

Aldryx is two years old now. She refused to walk bipedally, preferring to remain on all fours. Her only speech pattern was growls and garbles with the occasional hiss. Solazar learned to understand this new language, so communication was of no issue.

It was the next morning that surprised him. When he visited Aldryx's room the next morning, she was perched on top of the dresser. The question of how she managed to get there was quickly answered.

A pair of wings had sprouted out of her back. She chirped proudly to her father of this new accomplishment, wagging her tail excitedly. Solazar could only stare with a mix of bewilderment and wonder.

It wasn't a digidevil that he had found in his garage. A digi...dragon?

Solazar managed to snap out of his stupor, stretching his arms up and taking Aldryx off the dresser. She looked up at him with large and hopeful eyes.

Solazar let out a laugh of disbelief. "So. You're a dragon, huh?" He placed Aldryx on his shoulder and rubbed her back with the pad of his thumb. Her purring was loud and delightful against his cheek.

"Good to know."

———

Another fizz and pop in the garage. Four years later. This time it was a box of vhs tapes. The cardboard had been singed with bits of the tapes blown apart and scattered on the floor.

A small head peeped out of the burnt remains of the box, white eyes stark against the black smoke. The small creature immediately locked gazes with Solazar, head tilting curiously.

The solarsapien could only stand there and blink. A digidevil. What were the odds?

Aldryx had curled up beside Solazar's neck, cautiously watching the digidevil in the box. Her claws sunk into her father's shirt, and Solazar gently scratched her head to assure her that everything was alright. He knelt down next to the box and carefully picked up the tiny critter that was only the size of his palm.

Solazar gently rubbed the digidevil's cheek, eliciting a soft chirp. A small smile tilted the edges of the ancient's eyes.

"Well Aldryx, looks like you have a new baby brother."

———

"You're... also a dragon..."

Solazar held the digidragon in his hands, two more years having passed. Agoti excitedly flapped his new pair of wings as if to show them off to the world, warbling and trilling ecstatically.

Solazar leaned his head against Aldryx's side, the dragon perched on his shoulder. "Did you know about this?" he asked her. Aldryx merely huffed without a proper answer.

Solazar sighed. "I have to stop doing this."