three

3
reflections by toshifumi hinata

It appears that Wizarding families from all over Great Britain also received an invitation from The House of Black, as the amount of carriages lined up to drop off their guests went as far to the gate. And the road from the front steps of the manor to that gate, was in fact unnecessarily long. 

When the Thestrals pulled the Desford carriage out to the front of the steps, Adeline couldn't pull her eyes away from the window.

The Black Manor was even more exquisite up close. She'd heard rumors that it was even larger on the inside than the outside, but she had no clue how that could even be possible. The stones were black, covered in long strips of ivy that done how made it appear even more regal. Every window from the bottom floor to the fifth level was illuminated with candles.

She could hear the music from within, and the families already piling up the steps and indoors, but even with all of that, it felt like an empty, forlorn building without a breath. She wondered how long the manor had been so void of life. If it was built into the stone from the moment it was constructed, to house people with the same inanity.

The carriage door opened and Mr. Desford stepped out first, Adeline to follow. She hadn't looked away from the manor once, enthralled by it's dominance over her thoughts.

"It's not too late to go back." Mr. Desford comments, also admiring the home.

Adeline turned and gave her father a bored look that quickly upturned into a smile. He held his arm out and she took it, letting him escort her up the grand staircase towards the open door.

"The second you find your friends and get a drink or two in your system, you'll be just fine." Adeline speaks. 

"When did you become the one trying to convince me to enjoy these things?" Mr. Desford retorts.

Adeline examined the girls that made their way up the stairs with them. Each of them beautiful in their own ways. Each of them being escorted by their mothers instead of their fathers. But Adeline would never complain.

She'd recognized a few of them, mostly because of their shared time at balls and etiquette classes, but she wasn't familiar enough to ever go and say hello.

Underdressed was never a word Adeline would use to describe herself. Priscilla never let her leave her home looking anything less than perfect (her own words), however they must've both missed the memo on the dress code for a ball hosted by The House of Black.

Feathers sat atop their heads, or they flowed down their own dresses. Sparkles, and shiny new silks that draped across their figures with such elegance. Gloves embellished with intricate patterns. Hair styles she had sworn have fallen out of fashion years ago, yet somehow still working on the girls she followed behind. She was starting to feel quite unsure of herself as she passed through the front door. A front door that could easily accommodate a family of giraffes.

The Master of Ceremonies met her next, giving her a nod as he asked for her name.

"Miss Adeline Eliza of House Desford. Escorted by my father Mr. Herman Desford." She responded.

The Master of Ceremonies gave her a nod, and Adeline, distracted by the man's perfectly shaped white mustache, didn't realize that they were already at the entrance to the ballroom.