Sledding

"It's snowing!" A seven-year-old Edward cried, looking out the window excitedly. "Father, did you see the snow? Did you see?"

"Yes I did, Edward. It's beautiful." Victor replied with a smile, not looking up from the book he was reading.

"It's a perfect day for sledding!" Edward exclaimed as he ran over to the nearby closet. "I need to get ready."

"S-sledding, you say?"

"Mm-hmm. I promised myself that on the first day of snow I should immediately go sledding, and now I can!"

"Of course. But Edward, just be careful when opening the—"

Before Victor could finish, Edward had already thrust the door open and quite a few things had fallen out and landed on the floor.

"...closet door."

"Whoops..." Edward said with wide eyes and a nervous grin. "I'm sorry, father."

"It's alright, son. Let me help you with that."

Victor put his book down, stood from his armchair, and went over to the closet to help his son. While they were picking up the various hats, gloves, and scarves, a thought suddenly popped into Victor's head.

"Edward, where exactly do you want to go sledding?" He asked.

"I just wanted to go out in the meadow; it's not that far." Edward replied.

"Behind the house? Near the forest?"

"Mm-hmm."

"Ah, and who's going with you?"

"I figured you and mother would be busy with other things and Emily was at the library today so I arranged something with my friend Louie."

"Louie Quince?"

"Yes. He said his father was going to take us on the first day of snow."

"What about your other friend, Ash?"

"No. She and her family are out of town for a while, so it'll just be me and Louie."

"Oh yes, NOW I remember. Mr. Quince and I had discussed that a few days ago."

The telephone rang.

"Oh, I'll get it." Edward said the moment he heard the ring.

He ran over to the telephone, answered it, and said, "Hello."

"Hello, Edward? Is that you?" An older sounding man answered back.

"Oh! Hello, Mr. Quince." Edward said. "Is Louie there with you? Did you guys see the snow? Do you know when you're coming over to go sledding?"

"Oh, about that..." Mr. Quince said before letting out a sneeze.

"Bless you. Are you okay?"

"Oh, Edward. I'm sorry, but Louie and I aren't feeling too well."

"What do you mean?"

"It seems that we've both caught a rather bad cold so... we won't be able to go sledding with you today."

"What? But... but we made plans and everything."

"I know, Edward. And I'm sorry. Would you like to talk to Louie for a little bit?"

"Yes..."

"Alright, just give me a moment."

Edward stood on the line for a minute or two before hearing his friend's voice say with a slight sniffle, "Edward?"