Chapter 47

'I only count my father as family.' Angry color scored Edward's high cheekbones.

In answer to his hostility towards his half-brother, Bella simply said nothing and instead turned back to politely address Edward's father, who had been left hovering in discomfiture while his two sons squared up to each other.

Matt approached her almost shyly. 'I hardly recognized you,' he admitted, and they talked about her decision to take a year out until it was time to go into the room next door for the ceremony.

During the ceremony, Bella focused on the handsome flower arrangement on the table while listening carefully to the words. She would have preferred a church service but would not have dreamt of telling Edward that. He slid a ring onto her finger but he had not given her one to return the favor with and there was a small embarrassing pause as the registrar allowed them time to complete what was usually an exchange of rings. Clearly, Edward wouldn't be wearing a ring, announcing to the world that he was 'taken', Bella reflected ruefully, wondering why that small detail should make her feel so insecure. Many men didn't like wearing rings, she reminded herself.

A light meal was served to the wedding party at an exclusive hotel. Bella glimpsed her reflection in one of the many gilded walls mirrors in the private function room and barely recognized the refined image of the woman clad in the sleek bronze sheath. At the beauty salon the previous day every part of her had been primped and polished and waxed and trimmed, all her rough edges smoothed away. She had seen Della and Jenna's frowning surprise at her new image and she knew she no longer looked incongruous by Edward's side. The cringe-worthy fear that her lack of grooming could embarrass Edward had made Bella tolerate the various treatments and she accepted the need to at least try to fit into Edward's world as best she could. Bella had always believed that if something was worth doing, it was worth doing well and that was the outlook she intended to embrace in her role as Edward's wife.

'If we're leaving soon I should get changed,' Bella whispered after she had drifted once around the small dance floor in the circle of Edward's arms, every inch of her treacherous body humming at the hard stirring contact with his.

'There's no need for you to change. We should head to the airport now,' Edward told her calmly. 'I'm determined to be the one to take that dress off you, meli mou.'

Red color warmed Bella's cheeks and within minutes they were walking out to a waiting limousine, having thanked their guests for sharing their day. Traveling with Edward was, she discovered, very different from going on a package holiday trip. There were no queues to slow them down. They rushed through the airport and waited for the flight call in a private lounge where they were served refreshments.

'You still haven't told me where we're going,' Bella reminded him.

'Italy...I have a house there. It's very private,' Edward murmured huskily, running a finger across the tender skin of her inner wrist where a blue vein pulsed below her fine white skin, sending a current of awareness snaking through her veins. 'Perfect for a honeymoon.'

They boarded Edward's private jet. The cabin crew greeted her. Bella studied the opulent leather seating and stylish fixtures with wide eyes before she took a seat. She glanced down at the ring gleaming on her wedding finger and breathed in deep and slow. She was Edward's wife now but only because she was pregnant, she reminded herself staunchly as the jet took off. It didn't do to forget that salient fact.

A moment later, she was very much taken by surprise when Edward settled the file about her background down on the table in front of her. 'I'm sorry my investigation into your background distressed you but you should know what's in it and I'd like to get it out of the way now.'

Bella paled, tense as a bowstring. She had planned to work up the courage to ask him for the file and she was relieved he had not pushed her to that point. Flipping it open, she began to read. It very quickly became clear that when she was a child she had only been told one side of her parents' story—her mother's. And her father's side of the story was strikingly different.