house across the street | minsung

"What do you think is the legend behind Halloween?" The teacher asked the class. It was the last period of the day before everyone would be released into the weekend.

"The ghosts of the dead are able to walk among the living on Halloween," one of the students answered.

Jisung sighed to himself. Turning his face to the window, his reflection was visible in the glass, revealing his more than bored grimace.

"The Jack-o-Lanterns are supposed to keep the evil spirits away from your house," the teacher explained, and Jisung scoffed to himself.

Never had he heard such bullshit. Uninterested, he watched the leaves the wind had picked up, whirling around on the floor outside.

As the bell finally released everyone, Jisung grabbed his bag and was about to storm out of the room, when the teacher stopped the class.

She decided it would be fun for everyone to carve pumpkins, and so she handed out ideas for faces to carve into it.

Jisung rolled his eyes while grabbing the paper. He squeezed through the students, and finally reached the exit.

As soon as he stepped a foot into the hallway, he crumpled up the sheet and tossed it into the trash can without a second thought.

When he reached his house after a ten minute walk home, he unlocked the door and stepped in. He took off his coat and unwound the scarf around his neck.

The house seemed pretty quiet, and after he put away his jacket, he entered the living room. "Mom? Dad?" He called. "Are you home?"

When he got no answer, he moved on to the kitchen. There, he found a note on the counter. He dragged himself over to it and picked up the piece of paper, reading it for himself.

'Dear, Jisung. Your mother and I are spontaneously visiting friends in Busan. We left you some money, and there's also some food in the fridge. Take good care of yourself. Love, dad.'

Jisung pumped a fist of victory into the air and a smile appeared on his face. He liked being home alone. He already thought about all the things he could do alone.

He would slouch around on the sofa the whole day, watching movies or the new episodes of his favorite shows. And that was exactly how he would spend this weekend as well.

He quickly stuffed the money his parents left into his wallet and shrugged on his coat again. He was going to visit the closest supermarket, since he would need snacks for his movie binge.

At the door, he slipped into his favorite pair of black boots and threw one last glance at himself in the mirror.

His skin was very pale—a lot of people were actually jealous of it, and he never understood why. Along with the dark circles under his eyes, he just looked like a sick boy.

Jisung sighed, turned away, and pulled the door open, just as somebody was about to ring the doorbell. He and the unknown person jumped in shock.

"Who the hell are you?" He asked, the shock still deep in his bones.

"I, uhm... sorry," the boy stuttered and held up a box with his hands. "My name is Lee Minho, and I just moved into the house across the street," he explained and pointed at the house with his chin.