welcome to republic city part two

"Let's see. Multiple counts of destruction of private and city property not to mention evading arrest," the woman slams the clipboard on the table and angrily glares at us, "You young ladies are in a whole mess of trouble."

Korra speaks up, "But there were some thugs threatening a helpless shopkeeper, and I had it..."

"Can it!" the woman calmly walks to the other side of the interrogation table, "You should have called the police and stayed out of the way."

"But I couldn't just sit by and do nothing. It's my duty to help people. See, I'm the avatar," Korra explains with a small smile.

The woman crosses her arms unimpressed and I can't help but feel like I recognise her, "Oh, I am well aware of who you are. And your avatar title might impress some people, but not me."

"Okay well this was just a big accident, we meant no harm," I try to defend, now I don't usually pull out this card but if she isn't fazed by Korra being the avatar then maybe I can get a reaction from her if she knows who I am. "We were on our way to the air temple island when we got a bit sidetracked but I promise that if you let us off we won't cause any more damage. You have my word, you see I'm-"

"Princess Honora of the Fire Nation, yes I know," the cop interrupted still very unimpressed. "And aren't you a long way from home, I know for a fact that your mother would never approve of this behaviour."

Realization hits me like a brick.

"Shit," I mutter.

I know exactly who this cop is.

"All right, fine. Then I want to talk to whoever's in charge." Korra says decidedly.

"You're talking to her. I'm Cheif Beifong," Lin reveals sitting on the chair across from us.

"Wait, Beifong? Lin Beifong? You're Toph's Daughter!"

"What of it?"

A hint of amusement suppresses Korra's tone, "Well then, why are you treating me like a criminal? Avatar Aang, Lord Zuko and your mother were friends. They saved the world together."

"That's ancient history. And it's got diddly squat to do with the mess you're in right now, both of you." she turns to me and stretches her left arm to emphasize her words, "You can't just waltz in here and dole out vigilante justice like you own the place!"

Lin gives us both a hard stare.

In the background, one of the metalbending cops opens a peephole in the metal hole.

"Cheif, Councilman Tenzin is here."

Lin sighs in annoyance as she stands up, "Let him in."

Lin stands beside the table putting her hands back in a formal posture as the wall in front of us slides aside to form a door through which Tenzin slides through.

"Lin, you are looking radiant as usual."

"Cut the garbage, Tenzin. Why are the avatar and fire princess in Republic City? I thought you were supposed to be moving down to the south pole to train Korra." Lin says gruffly.

"My relocation has been delayed," Tenzin lowers his gaze to me and Korra and we look down guilty, "The Avatar, on the other hand, will be heading back to the South Pole immediately, where she will stay put. And Honora will return back home to the Fire Nation like arranged."

"But-"

"You can't-"

"If you could be so kind as to," Tenzin briefly glares at the two of us, "drop the charges against Korra and Honora, I will take full responsibility for today's regrettable events and cover all damages."