Prologue: Childhood

I've switched to 1st person, because it's so much easier. By the way, our family is also wizards.

~~~~~~~

Max and I have been friends since we were lil' tater tots. And I mean very small potatoes. I met him when I was 6 and he was 7. We were in the same second-grade class, and I was the youngest in the class, since I skipped first grade. Yes. First grade. Must have really excelled at reciting 26 letters and adding 2 + 2 I guess. Anyways, the other kids in that class weren't really big fans of miss good-at-basic-math right here, so they were mean to me constantly. 

I was pushed away from the group of boys. This made my eyes start to water. I was a pretty sensitive kid before meeting Max.

"H-hey! That's not... nice!" I said, my mouth trembling. The leader of the group of boys just laughed at this.

"Ooh, little miss perfect thinks I'm 'not nice'. Why don't you go cry to your mommy?" He said, looking very intimidating to someone a year younger, and probably very stupid to anyone older than us. 

His group of friends laughed in my face. I felt my face burn red, and I turned to run away before they saw me cry, but one of them grabbed my pigtails. 

"Hey! S-stop! My mom did these braids for me!" I said, starting to cry as he yanked my hair. 

"You are-"

"Let her go!"

I heard a boy's voice. I couldn't really turn my head, but I felt the grip on my hair loosen. As soon as the bully let go, I ran to the bathroom to cry. I didn't see the person who saved me, but I wasn't really thinking about that at the moment. I locked myself in a stall. Since the second-grade bathroom was a mixed-gender bathroom, I prayed to whatever floaty almighty being that none of the mean boys would come looking for me. I heard someone walk in. I closed my eyes and stayed as silent as possible, but my strangled crying was hard to mask. 

"Hey, Y/N? (I think that's her name at least)... are you in here?"

I sniffled. "W-who is it?"

"Oh, I'm Max Russo."  The boy responded. I wasn't sure what the bullies' names were, but he didn't sound mean, so I slowly opened the bathroom stall. He looked at me with a concerned expression.

"Are you ok? Those guys are real jerks..." He said in annoyance. I gaped my mouth a little. We weren't allowed to say the j-word in our house. Though my older brother said it a lot. He said a lot worse than that, though.

"Y-yeah...  they are. They are... j-jerks."  I responded, shuffling my ballet flats against the ground. 

He gazed at the wall for a second, lost in thought before suddenly turning to me.

"Hey! I have a great idea! Do you wanna be friends?"

My tear-covered face lit up. I nodded my head. "Yeah! Sure!"

Slayyyyy, new story! This will be fun. Don't expect me to update this all the time, but I can work some shit out.