Chapter 19: Plus One

Start from the beginning

As you did your best to clean it up, Aoi was on the other side setting up bags of blood for a blood transfusion. The Slayer was losing too much, if they didn't replenish any the Slayer would have no chance of survival.

The fact that they were here and still had a pulse despite the hole in their side was a feat on its own.

There was static in your ears as you finally pinpointed the veins and organs that were ruptured and split open from the impact of the wound. You couldn't even hear yourself speak as you held a hand out. Another pair of hands joined yours, Aoi was placing some type of cloth to soak up the blood that was in the way.

In your hand was sutures and a needle. Not having the time to think twice, you began to stitch all the wounds closed. The rags of blood piling up beside you and Aoi even as the blood pouring out became less and less. You had to have a Kakushi snip the end of a suture before you tied it off and continued to stitch something else closed.

You couldn't count how many times someone had to change the blood bag as you continued working your way from the most sever hole to the least. The only way you knew when a certain amount of time had passed was when the Kakushi in the room with you started to light even more lanterns.

Aoi was periodically checking the pulse as you worked as meticulously as you could. Your hands the most steady they've ever been.

At one point, you were sure the Slayer wasn't going to make it. Aoi was shouting something about the pulse becoming erratic. The blood from the wound leaking out of the Slayer's body even faster than it was before you started the operation. She had done something to his chest as you took your hands away to clear your view from all the blood, as the next second everything  was back in the tense stillness, the white noise was back in your ears, and you were back to stitching.

Kocho had finally arrived back at the Butterfly Estate along with Tsuyuri after the news, and did not approach the door where you and Aoi was. She believe that you would be able to get the job done. That and her own personal feelings might get in the way if she were to involve herself and have taken your place mid surgery.

It wasn't until the sun had passed the horizon and the stars were shining in the sky that you had emerged from the OR.

There was so much blood that caked your and Aoi's skin. The exhaustion was clear from the bags under your eyes, and yet your hands still held steady as you made your way over to your sensei.

"Kocho-sensei..." Your voice was hoarse from being stressed and rather unused for hours. You gifted her with a tired yet happy smile, as the Kakushi behind you carried the Demon Slayer out of the room and into an empty ward. "He'll make it through the night."

By some miracle, and she didn't know if it was because you joined under her wing. Kocho had never been more grateful that you were brought to her.

~~~~~

You didn't really know how you did it.

One moment you were panicking, and the next you were wrist deep in someone with no sense of anything other then the want to save them.

It was dark out by the time you were finished. It must have taken hours in that room to pull the Slayer back together. There was no way they would be able to return back to the field after a wound like that. The severity of it, the size, and all parts of the body were so damaged you weren't even sure if you would have been able to save them.