The beginning of everything

The old man looked out of his window as the dark clouds covered the whole sky. Like an indication that it might rain anytime. The clouds may start pouring―People are rushing over to reach a safe as they do not want to get drenched in rain.

He chuckled as a memory of him in his twenties started playing in his mind. "Time flew away and didn't know how it flew away..."

He took his cigar and took a long puff of it as he enjoyed the tobacco. The young man standing in the room with the documents in his hands watched the old man silently.

He observed as the old man smoked while he looked out of the window with his mind being somewhere else. The young man looked at the old antic clock and then at the door.

'They have to be here.'

'Why aren't they here yet? Do I have to make a call?'

The young man's mind was now filled with questions. He shifted on his legs and was about to make a call when there was a knock on the door.

The old man didn't care as he focused his senses on remembering the memories. The young man stood up straight and cleared his throat.

"Mr Thompson, they are here," the young man spoke.

The old man placed the remaining cigar into the ashtray, turned his head and looked at the young man. "Arthur, do we have to meet them?"

The young man who was named after his late father gave a nod. "Yes, Mr Thompson. We have to meet them in person."

The old man sighed. "I do not want to meet anyone. Why don't you hand the documents over and explain them?"

"Mr Thompson, it is very important that you meet them and have a conversation before they leave. No one would make them understand the importance of these documents more than you. I would like you to calm down and have a conversation with them."

"They have personally agreed on this. It would be good if you met them before they leave," Arthur said.

The old man nodded his head and stood up from his chair. "You have your seat here, I will invite them inside," Arthur said.

"Hmm." Arthur placed the documents on the vintage table and went over to where Thompson stood and helped him sit on the big sofa chair. Arthur helped Thompson pat down his suit as the people who came to meet him waited for him outside.

"Mr Evans, how long should we be waiting?" Joel asked.

Mr Evans looked at Joel. "As you heard the lady downstairs, it will take some time to meet Mr Thompson. We have to wait here patiently," Mr Evans spoke.

"As you say, Mr Evans," Joel said and stood behind Mr Evans. With them joined Nyra, who was looking at the ceiling of the palace.

"Mr Thompson belonged to the Royal family?" Nyra questioned.

"Yes, Mr Thompson belongs to the Royal family. His family served as British officers and were a part of the establishment of the East India Company," Mr Evans said.

"I believed that Mr Thompson was an archaeologist," Joel said.

"He was and is an archaeologist. Mr Thompson was interested in history and research into the human past. He became one of the renowned archaeologists of our time," Mr Evans said.

Mr Evans is in his fifties and Joel and Nyra are his assistants. They were his students and when he retired as a professor. He hired his best students into his team and now they are on important research.