chapter twenty-five

Start from the beginning

When he got out, Laecie was stood in her doorway. Her face was the saddest he'd ever seen. She couldn't even look at him without bursting into sobs. She walked over to him quickly, her face immediately Meeting his chest. He wrapped his arms so tightly around her, holding her as he felt her hot, wet tears soak his shirt.

He pulled her face up to look at him, kissing her face all over, not noticing how his eyes filled up until they blurred his vision. He blinked them away quickly, so as not to upset his girl even more. He held her hand into the car, buckling her in and throwing her bag into the trunk.

She said goodbye to her dad, kisses and hugs, farewells until next year. She then got into his car. He started the engine, pulling out slowly.

Laecie wiped her face.
"I know we'll see one another next year,"
She began,
"But I don't know how I'm going to do this year without you. I'm going to think about you every minute of every day."
She said numbly.

"You have to call me, everyday, no matter what happens you call. And, I'll get the train, I'll meet you, as much as I possibly can."
Bucky demanded, staring at her briefly before focusing back on the road. Although, he knew this was his last summer in Italy. He knew what awaited him in America.

Laecie nodded, gripping onto his hand on the stick shift.
"I will. How could I not?"
She chuckled sadly. Bucky lifted her hand and kissed it.
"I'll never stop wondering about you."
He said.

After a while of silence, nothing more to say, they arrived at the airport.

It felt like the weight of the world was on Bucky's chest. He helped Laecie out with her bags, lifting them all the way to the gate. Her eyes poured tears out like a tap, never ending hot, fat drops rolling down her bare face.

She gripped onto him, wrapping herself around him, breathing in his scent, never wanting to let go.

Bucky pulled out a t-shirt, tucking it into her hands.

"I've worn this for the last two days, it should smell like everything I smell like. I love you."
He said, stroking his thumb over her cheek.

She leaned up and kissed him, her hands gripping the hair at the back of his head, desperate to pause time. They didn't let go for a long time, holding one another.

They pulled away slowly, not wanting to let go of one another. Laecie put a letter in Bucky's dry hands.

"Read this when you miss me so much but you can't call."
She smiled sadly, kissing his face again once more.

"I have to tell you.."
Bucky whispered. Laecie looked up at him, confused and upset.
"I won't be back here again. This is it for me, I'm not going back to New York, I'm not coming back to Italy. I'm moving, to England. I got a job there, something that'll pay my way for the rest of my life. Not a pool boy, not a maintenance man, a good job. Lace, I don't know when I'll see you again. I don't know if I'll see you again."
He blurted almost, breaking his voice and becoming tearful now.
"I couldn't bear to tell you, I didn't want to hurt you until we had to go. I didn't want to upset you, I'm so sorry. I love you, I love you, I love you."

Laecie looked up at him, her brow downturned but a melancholic smile on her face. She nodded a little, picking up her bags. She kissed him softly once more.

"I'm so proud of you. You're the most amazing person I've ever met."
She cried now, trying to dry her tears with the back of her wrists.
"And I'll never forget you."
She whispered, taking Bucky's thumb in her hand and swiping the phone number away from her palm. His thumb erased the pen in only a few swipes.

Bucky looked up into her eyes as she stepped back from him, releasing his thumb. He looked between her eyes, as she smiled sadly again, waving with the hand she'd just cleaned.

"You know that won't work."
She whispered, picking up her bags.
"But you know I love you. But I can't live thinking about you forever. I have to go, I love you, I'll never forget."
She said as she backed away, turning around and looking at him over her shoulder. Bucky pursed his lips and nodded, smiling too, because at least they'd closed the chapter.

"If I'm lucky, we'll meet again!"
He yelled as she walked off. She laughed loudly, tearfully, before turning away and walking toward her gate. Bucky kissed his fingers and raised his hand behind her, allowing her to feel his love no matter how far. He'd hoped she'd caught it. He'd hoped she'd felt it.

And then, after two hours, Bucky turned around himself and walked back to his car, alone, face crusty, starting his car and going home. Before the ignition roared, he opened his wallet, staring at the photograph of Laecie with the blue lollipop in her mouth on the boat, stroking her photographs cheek and removing the photo. He rolled his window down as he drove, holding the photo between his index finger and thumb, allowing the wind outside to steal the photograph from him, allowing Laecie to blow away in the wind.

The dust blew the photograph into the air and Bucky turned the radio up. He tapped the wheel. He breathed in, feeling the ghost of Laecie's scent creep into his nostrils as the road behind him grew narrower.

I suppose, he thought, love means more when lost than it does when taken for granted.
And with that, he drove into the distance, happy that he'd even felt her, happy that they were still in love, happy that it'd worked out. Happy he was lucky enough to have known her.

-

Well, that's the end!

If this chapter gets enough comments, I'll do an epilogue, which I have a plan for, but if not I'll leave it.

My next book will be a Sebastian fic aboit vampires. Well, still not sure if it's Sebastian or Bucky, can't decide.

Anyways, love you, thank you all so so much for reading and staying.

I love you I love you I love you.

(Undedited as of 17/10/22, no photo collage for this one cuz it's more ending-y hehe)
L.
<3.