Monitoring a sheep

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"A word of advice, help yourself to the walls at first. Your legs are out of practice walking, and the lack of real food really doesn't help."

She turns and walks out again, I move as fast as I can to catch her while keeping a hand on the wall. We start to walk when she suddenly stops and turns to face me. She reaches into the pocket of her lab coat and pulls out my collar. Touching my neck, I only now notice that it has been removed. Only this one no longer has the chain on the front.

"I almost forgot. Here, child." I walk over and as I am about to put my hair up (it had grown back a little above my shoulder blades since the Countess last cut it) and notice that it is short again. Countess Cleo must have had it cut back while I was unconscious. She locks the collar around my neck and gives me a light jolt to make sure it's activated.

"We have decided that the chain is no longer essential. We trust you to behave on your own. Be careful, at the slightest sign of violence on your part we will put it back on."

"Yes, Doctor."

"Now go on."

She resumes her walk and I follow her in silence. She knocks on a door that I know leads to Professor Maelstrom's office. A few moments pass before the door opens. The Professor looks bored at the Doctor before turning his gaze to me. I immediately look down and barely notice the dark smile on his face.

"I see our little sheep has finally regained consciousness. Come in dear, we'll start with your first session."

"Take it easy Professor, she's only just woken up."

"Don't worry. I've already got it covered."

Professor Maelstrom closes the door then returns to his desk and pulls a thick file from a drawer before finding his way to a table set up in the corner of the room. A chair on each side, one with handcuffs and the other comfortable with green velvet. Unsurprisingly, the Professor sits in the comfortable chair and motions for me to sit in the metal chair with the restraints. Once seated, all the handcuffs snap shut. I looked down at the floor, remembering the last time I had been left alone with him.

"Look at me Black Sheep." I looked up at him and found him watching me, a VILE laptop on the left side of the table and the folder in front of him. "During your therapy you'll need to maintain eye contact with me, understood ?"

"Yes, Professor."

The Professor continues to observe me. I can hardly maintain eye contact for more than a few seconds without looking away. "How are you, Black Sheep ?"

"I'm... I'm fine. At least, I think so." Professor Maelstrom leans forward and rests his elbows on the table.

"How long do you think you were unconscious ?" I look down at my bandaged right wrist and the lack of stitches in my left arm. I'd been surprised to discover that I could use my left arm (although it was still a bit stiff).

"I don't know, Professor. About a week, two at most I'd say."

"A lot more actually. When we stabilised you, you ended up in a coma. You were unconscious for a little over a month." A month ?! At least that explains the healing of most of my wounds and sores. Vlad arrives and sets down a bowl of water with a small piece of bread, a small bowl of rice and a small slice of apple in front of me.

"Doctor Bellum warned me that you might get hungry and thirsty in the next few hours. After all, it's been over a month since your last meal. And that's not beneficial for any of us, so I took the liberty of having you bring some food." The restraints on my arms come off. I reach for the food and the Professor watches me.

"May I, Professor ?" I ask softly, meeting his gaze as he scrutinises my every move.

"You may eat. We'll discuss what caused you to willingly harm yourself at the same time."