Chapter 10 - First Impressions Last A Lifetime

ابدأ من البداية

As I walked into the room all eyes flickered over to me and the crowd dipped into a bow. Standing straight they all looked at me expectantly. Anxiety clenched at my heart and I tried to put it into the back of my mind. I made sure my expression didn't give it away, being afraid and vulnerable didn't seem popular in this coven.

Alec POV:

Jane and I stood next to the queen. It was an expectation that the coven would be respectful because of her title. What worried us was that the Cullens weren't popular among our covenmates. For some reason I felt that the vampires in front of us were threats. We had known them for hundreds of years and this perspective didn't sit well with me. Jane thought it was because of our connection to the queen through Master Aro.

"I'm Lycoris, you all can call me Lyra." The queen began. When no one spoke she continued "I want to make it clear, I do not expect you all to bow down to me... because I'm not your queen." I sent a panicked look to Jane who was also looking at the queen with concern. The confusion within our coven members was clear. Her eyes were unmoving. Instead of fear her eyes had a power in them that froze anyone they landed upon. It was strange it didn't seem like she was speaking, it was like the kings were speaking through her. She truly was the destined mate of the mighty Volturi kings.

"I am your king's mate and perhaps one day I may also be your queen... if you let me. Until then though all I ask is that you accept me into your coven. Into your family. As an equal".

Relief found its way into my unbeating heart. She would be the true queen, she had the grace, power and most importantly as she had explained to me, humility. My thoughts were cut short as a voice cut through the group.

"Are the rumours true? Are you really a Cullen?" The sneer in my covenmates voice caused Jane to take a step forward. Demitri and Felix both dissipated from the crowd and stood besides us both. Demitri discreetly pulling Jane back.

We didn't have to think hard to figure out who had spoken out of his turn. Barnabus had a habit of sticking his nose in places where it didn't belong. It was only Chelsea and Corin that made sure he was tolerated.

"The rumours you have heard are true. I have spent my life with the Olympic coven". Her voice didn't waver despite the uncomfortable looks that the coven was giving her.

"Lived your life with the Cullens yet stand in front of us with such vanity. Although that actually makes perfect sense," Barnabus spoke silkily as if he had proven a point. I had never had such a burning passion to kill someone. Vapour gathered in my hands, Felix's hand being the only thing grounding me. Looking over to the queen I saw her lips had pursed into a thin line, however, her eyes were now burning. The crowd had parted to reveal a smirking Barnabus. Despite the anger we felt, I could feel the excitement buzzing in the room.

"I may have only known you for the past 40 seconds but I can tell you have the subtlety of a bus and the depth of a shot glass," the queen sighed looking disappointed. I could see Santiago and Afton trying not to snicker in the crowd.

"How dare you?" he snapped. A melodious chuckle resounded in the room. "Why this has got nothing to do with daring, I'm simply pointing out the obvious" Afton and Santiago both started snickering along with most of the room. I had to use all my self-control to not laugh. Barnabus was fuming and he began walking towards us.

"That is enough," Renata's voice boomed. "Barnabus if you cannot behave I suggest you leave lest we lose all self-control we have, and rip you to shreds in front of the queen you mock." Corin and Renata walked towards us. Barnabus smirked, "do you really think you'd be able to even lay a fing-". He fell to the floor and began screaming. Almost all of the vampires in the room sent looks of approval to Jane, who was looking at the queen highly confused.