Dreadful Days

[There are some days that never live up to their expectations, but although they're miserable, they always end in a smile due to one (or three) reasons.]

[Word Count: 3506]

[There is swearing and upsetting situations in this one shot.]
***
I couldn't remember a day worse than today.

Ever since I had woken up, which happened to be an hour after my alarm should have gone off, the day only increased in its suffering and miserable effects.

After a night of tossing and turning, I woke up from only a few hours of sleep in an irritated mood. Steven had already left for work, which meant that I didn't even get to see him before we started our days.

Every outfit that I tried on didn't fit me the way I wanted, my curling iron broke halfway through the process, the milk I had put into my coffee was spoiled, and I spilled my bottle of medication all over, leaving pills scattered nearly everywhere in the apartment. It took nearly an hour to find all of the scattered prescription pills.

Something managed to go wrong every single hour, and every hour only made me dread the next. Nothing would go my way, and I wasn't sure why. It was as if today was a waking nightmare.

And I couldn't wait to finally be freed from it.

On the way to my college classes, I had stepped in a puddle that was deeper than expected, leaving one shoe to be completely soaked through to my sock beneath. I had forgotten a ponytail holder, which meant that I couldn't tie my hair back as the wind tousled it mischievously.

To top it all off, I had left my jacket on the back of one of the dining table chairs at the apartment. I was freezing and miserable, and yet the day still wasn't over.

And now, after looking at my returned test from my chemistry professor, I was positive I would break down in tears in front of her as well as my classmates.

I bit my trembling lip to prevent my peers from noticing how upset I was. My fingers nimbly covered the red markings, including the score listed at the top of the page. My palm rested snugly over the less than passing grade, sighing as I heard the joyful mutterings around me.

"I knew I was going to pass. Flying colors." My classmate, whose name I could never recall, proudly remarked from behind me, flaunting her perfectly scored exam for those sitting around her. Her name was never important to me, as the way she treated me was more memorable than anything else.

I studied so hard for this exam. I spent days and nights pouring over the material only to completely fail when the time finally arrived. What would Marc think of me? After nights talking about how I would transfer my college credits to a college near the museum, we agreed that this scenario was possible.

Steven would be able to work in his dream career while I completed my degree in psychology. Jake could continue his desire to drive and Marc would remain content with it all. It seemed so perfect when we planned it all out.

Now, it was the worst of scenarios, and I was sure that he would be disappointed. I was wasting time and money, and for what?

For nothing.

"What about you, (Y/N)? What did you get on the test?" Hearing my name sparked my attention, and I spun around in my seat with the fakest smile I could conjure. Three girls and two guys were staring at me eagerly as I shrugged, trying my hardest not to care.

Why was I still so intimated, even in college, of what my peers would think of me?

"I'm not great at taking tests." I kindly offered, pointing to the test that was still being showed to us all. "But congratulations! That's amazing how you retained all of that information." I smiled genuinely and adjusted myself in my seat, blinking away tears of disappointment.