Old Rivalries

Severus Snape was not amused. He was not amused. Albus had drug him to his office, early in the morning when he was tending to his potion for the bloody Dark Lord. The Dark Lord! Severus had to complete this potion before the next Death Eater meeting or else his life - but Dumbledore had dragged him away, saying he had urgent news for him-

He had been worried, honestly worried, as Albus floor called the wolf, Lupin, on the way to his office. They swept up to his office, where Albus had sat looking tired and worn-

"I'm afraid that I have made a mistake, by boys," he said carefully.

Lupin raised his eyebrow, and looked worriedly at me. I rolled my eyes at the look on his face- YES Albus Dumbledore is no invincible.

"Its Harry," he started. Rage bubbled up inside me- always the reminder of what never was, for James Potter had stolen his Lily. You promised to protect him, didn't you, a voice whispered accusingly in my ear.

Yes, I'll admit I did promise to look after the ungrateful brat.

"He has not been answering his friends letters," he continued.

"Really," I asked bitterly, "The golden boy can't keep up with his fan mail?"

Just like his miserable father.

"Severus," said Lupin through gritted teeth, eyes flashing dangerously. So the coward wolf could fight.

"-and I have a reason to believe that he is, and has been, mistreated by the Dursleys."

I snorted in disbelief- the golden boy was probably spoiled rotten if anything. Albus' penetrating gaze met mine.

Remember your promise.

I swallowed any sarcastic remark that I was going to have.

"What have they done to him?" whispered Remus trembling in rage. Really, Lupin should stop believing EVERYTHING about his precious attention-seeking cub. Just like his father.

"I want you to go check on him." he said, not meeting our eyes.

"But-" I started, no desiring to see more of Harry bloody Potter than I needed to but Lupin cut me off.

"Yes, Albus, we will," Lupin had the gall to say calmly, shooting me a warning look- a warning look!

I ignored the ominous feeling I had about the whole thing and swept off to an apparition point somewhere out of Hogwarts grinding my teeth about the whole thing. Childish? Me?Nah...

8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8

Lupin, in his worn robes walked shoulder to shoulder with me, at a brisk pace that I had set. I was being moody, I knew, if his uncomfortable rigid posture was anything to go by.

 Privet drive, I thought in disgust, and made a note never to set foot there again. It was a boring place; every house the same bland white as the house next to it. They (the occupants of Privet Drive) seemed to be very vain about the appearance of their houses- and very in on the gossip around the neighborhood, if Petunia Dursley was anything to judge be. What a horrid girl she was, Severus had met her a couple times- always so disgusted about magic. And these neighbors- staring at me like I'm some sort of insect!

It was true- the neighbors were peeking through their drapes and openly gaping at the two strange men that had stumbled upon their utopian society.

Severus wanted nothing to do with the whole situation-

He watched dispassionately , arms folded stubbornly, as Lupin knocked sharply on the door with a determined look on his face.

Severus was actually quite admiring of the werewolf, but was too proud to admit.

A large, vast man with piggy black eyes, thinning hair, and a walrus mustache opened looking agitatedly at the two men. A wave of unease came over Severus- this was who Petunia had married?

"What d'you want?" he finally asked. He looked seriously ticked off- maybe Potter had gotten in trouble here, Merlin knows he was a troublemaker at Hogwarts.

"Hello, I am a teacher at Hogwarts School of W-" He started

"SHUT UP AND NEVER SET FOOT IN MY RESIDENCE AGAIN!" bellowed the burly man, face purpling and spit flying out of his mouth. Severus raised a dangerous eyebrow at him and looked over at Lupin, trying to mask his confusion-

Lupin pulled out his wand. "Let us in." he growled, deadly, eyes glowing amber, "or you don't want to be within 5 feet of me when I curse you."

Not a morning person, then.

The walrus man stumbled out of the way-

Severus had to give him points for efficiency and effectiveness.

Lupin swept past, a bitter look on his face, and Severus supposed that Lupin did care for the boy. Nodding at the large trembling man, he let himself in and shut the door securely behind him. What a clean house- unnaturally so. He wondered who cleaned this place- his lips thinned and eyes narrowed as he noticed pictures of Potter's cousin, the obese Dudley Dursley... but no Potter?

"You!" a familier, shrill voice made him snap out of his stupor and turn to face her- lips thin, and blonde hair looking like it had been dyed too many times. She had an aura of bitterness about her- Still mad about Lily, then, thought Severus, and couldn't help but feel a little satisfaction.

"Tuney," he said in mock surprise, a smirk twisting his lips, "Long time no see!"

"Where's Harry." Lupin growled. Severus raised an eyebrow at him.

"Unlike you, I care," he muttered defensively. Severus chuckled, and turned to face the terrified Dursleys.

"Answer him." Severus said. He had never liked Petunia.

It was pretty fun to pretend to be evil.