⎼⎼⌞chapter seventeen⌝⎼⎼

"Who are you on the phone with?" I asked Staci as she muted it and mumbled out the words 'background check' to me.

"I don't understand half of what she's asking me." Staci muttered with a roll of her eyes as I sat beside her.

"Put it on speaker, I'll help you out." I said as she nodded with a sigh.

"Now, I'll need your social." The lady on the phone said and Staci furrowed her eyebrows.

"Okay... do you want my instagram? I mean I don't really have that many followers." She said as my jaw dropped.

"Your number." I mouthed to her.

"Your number, ma'am." The lady on the phone said, Staci looking up at me with her eyebrows still furrowed.

"You have my number, that's how you're talking to me." She said as I quickly jotted down the number for her. She sighed in relief as she read the number out loud, before finishing up the phone call.

"What was the background check for?" I asked her as she grinned.

"An apartment... In the Sunny Shades." She said as I squealed in excitement.

"You got it?!" I asked her as she nodded with a large grin.

"We're gonna be neighbors! We're gonna be neighbors!" We chanted together as we bounced on the bed.

"You're missing it!" Amy shouted as she burst into our room.

"Missing what?" We asked confused.

"The cops are over at the Trebles house!" She exclaimed before running downstairs.

"No way!" Staci said grabbing a pair of binoculars and taking off down the stairs.

"They're across the street Staci, you do not need binoculars!" I shouted after her. All of us skidding to a stop in front of the door as we watched Greg standing on their porch talking to two officers.

"Hey! Pat him down! He's hiding something in his pocket officer! Yup!" Staci shouted over playfully at the officer as she held her binoculars up to her face. I snorted at her as Greg stared at her in disbelief. The officer turning around to look at her with a shake of his head.

"Miss, we're just here to hand out a citation." The officer shouted back as she groaned and tossed the binoculars to the side.

"You are unbelievable." I said letting out a snort as we watched the officer begin to turn around and head towards his car. "C'mon let's see what they got in trouble for this time."

"What's the paper for?" I hollered out to Greg as we made our way through their lawn.

"Stupid noise complaint. Was a third strike apparently." Greg said glancing at the paper as he shook his head.

"You couldn't help by flirting me out of that ticket?" Greg asked us with the shake of his head.

"Hm, you know I was about to say I'm in a relationship but Daniel still has yet to grow a pair of balls." Staci said looking over at the cop who still sitting in his car, "...You know what, fuck it."

"Excuse me? Mr. Officer?" Staci asked throwing a smile on her face as she slowly began making her way towards the cop car. He watched us make his way over as he rolled his window down.

"Something I could help you with?" I heard the officer call out to her as she made her way over to his squad car and began leaning in through the window. They spoke quietly before Staci stood up grinning.

"Thank you officer, I promise it won't be happening again." She waved as she made her way back towards us. Greg's jaw dropping as he stared at Staci. The cop car slowly taking off as we watched.