"Welcome home, Ms. L/n."

That was a new voice, that wasn't the Jarvis you remember.

Steve, bowed his head with a heavy sigh. Continuing to do papers but much slower now, "Give it a rest, Friday. She's gone."

You wanted to speak, to let him know that you were there, but every muscle in your body protested. Instead, feeling your home envelope you, you collapsed.

                       (Steve's pov)

"Welcome home, Ms. L/n."

If I wasn't so focused on getting these papers to Fury, I'd march up to Friday's system and destroy it. Being reminded of her, of the family we all were, hurt more than anything. He tried moving on, he tried to find someone as good as her, but he couldn't. He's stuck in a relationship he doesn't want.

He feels alone.

I can't help but think this is all my fault. If I'd just watched her more carefully she'd be here, alive, happy. But I failed her instead, I didn't watch her closely, I didn't stick by her side, and I didn't protect her. She lit up the room. She put a smile even on Fury's face, he's been frowning the three years. Even Tony's horrible jokes couldn't fix anything.

"Give it a rest Friday," I sighed, tired of the day's events, "She's gone."

The words that left my mouth squeezed my heart dry yet again. If I could turn back time I'd switch places with her immediately.

Thud!

Ultimately, I should've immediately turned around and see what that noise was. But my body froze completely. My hands trembled and for some reason, my heart was pounding. Why was I scared? I'm Captain fucking America. I'm never scared. I'm the brave one, I protect everyone and save lives. My hands are sweating now and the papers in my hand began to slip one by one onto the floor. I could ask Friday what that was, or call out since I'm not that far. But something was telling me to keep my mouth shut for now. Taking in a deep shuddering breath, squeezing my eyes shut before I turned around and faced the echoing noise. When my eyes landed on the source, I nearly screamed.

She was right there. Her hair was more frizzled and the ends were sticking out. Parts of her hair weren't the natural h/c I remembered, it was a sharp visible red. She looked skinny but had more muscle packed on her, she looked pale, and what looked like blood was leaking from under her. My legs started moving before I could register anything that was happening. I quickly picked her up, disregarding the loosely white papers. I held her head close to my chest and wrapped my other arm under her thighs to keep her steady. I couldn't believe what was happening. Three years, three years without my best girl friend. She was here, in my arms, but her life was slipping away. The blood was seeping through my shirt, staining the white but I didn't care. I needed her to stay alive. At least long enough when Bucky comes to see her.

I had so many questions when Bruce took her away. How did she get here? How far did she have to go with that injury? How long has she been bleeding? Was she followed? Did Hydra release her or did she escape? Was this a plot to get us in one place?

"We need an IV, 4 pints of (type of blood), and someone get me my gloves!" Bruce shouted, ordering the panicking nurses around, "How long ago did you find her, Rogers?"

My mouth felt dry, "Uh, I— I don't know, maybe 10 minutes by now. I-I ran here."

"Shit." He mumbled, "Nurse Connor, get Tony down here now! Nurse Tiffany, I need more blood and stitches, someone help me put her on the table!"

Everything was moving so fast, I felt like my head was spinning and I was going to throw up. I need to let everyone know that I found her. . . that the grieving and pain was over. I left the Medical Bay to give Bruce some space and stood outside the door, my breathing was all over the place. My chest was burning as I grabbed it tightly, heaving out a little wheeze.