Chapter 2

Gus's POV:

I grabbed my pajamas and walked to the bathroom, hopefully looking calm. I close the door, and just stand in front of the door. I collect myself and replay what just happened. We have sleeping bags in the hallway closet, why didn't I think of that?? Oh well, it's too late now. I changed, brushed my teeth, and walked out.

I went to my room, face a bit warm. I looked to my bed and Matty seemed to be waiting on me, scrolling through Penstagram. I walk over with my scroll and ask him if he could add his Pensta to mine. He agreed and quickly added it.

I walked back to the door and flicked off the light. I walk over and lay down, my back facing Matty's. "Night." He says, putting away his scroll. "Goodnight" I reply, closing my eyes. I fell asleep quickly.

Matty's POV:

Gus seemed to have fallen asleep quickly, but I just couldn't. I was trying to go to sleep, but my thoughts got the best of me. Why do I feel different about Gus than literally ANYONE else?? I want to be around him, but I also want to be as far from him as possible. I felt my entire face warm up at the mere thought of him. I felt like screaming, but didn't want to be loud.

Out of nowhere, I feel a pair of arms wrap around my stomach. I turn my head to see Gus, seeming to be asleep, holding me. I blushed madly, shook. Did he mean to do that? Would he do that if he was awake? Is it because it's me? No. Definitely not. I couldn't help but stare for a couple minutes. I eventually just laid down properly and fell asleep quicker than I would've before. It was comforting.

Gus's POV:

I felt myself slowly drifting out of my sleep. I noticed my arms wrapped around something but i didn't really think about it because i'd just woken up. I just stayed there, eyes closed. After awhile, I slowly opened my eyes. My vision was blocked. I moved my head and realized it was Matty's back. Oh, ok- WAIT, WHAT?? I didn't know what to do.

I decided to try and get up without waking Matty. I don't think it worked though, because I saw his eyes twitch, then open. "Sorry." I say quickly. "For what?" He says, rubbing his eyes while sitting upright. "For waking you." I reply, acting as if everything was normal. "Oh, It's fine." He says, turning his head away from me. Did I annoy him? I hope not.

I get up and brush my teeth. I go downstairs and make myself a bowl of cereal, since my dad doesn't let me cook when he's not home, and he's out for another day for something work related. He wasn't very specific.

Suddenly, I hear Matty coming downstairs, looking at the cereal box. "Oh, that's my favorite cereal!" He says happily. I smile, cheeks a bit warm. "Want some?" "Sure." I pass the cereal and milk. "Bowls are up there," I point to a cabinet, "Spoons are there." I say, pointing to a drawer.

He put the cereal and milk away, sits down across from me, and starts eating. I realized I forgot to eat, and start eating, too.

When we're done eating, we head upstairs back to my room. "What now?" He asks. "Y'know, I didn't think about that." I reply. I start thinking, then get an idea. "Why don't we play that fighting game? Ugh, what was it called?" "Smash Bros Melee." Matty replies, getting the disc. "Yeah, sure." I agree. "I'm just gonna head to the bathroom really quick."

I go to the bathroom and close the door. I closed the toilet lid and sat there for a minute. Why do I feel different about him than my other friends? I then started to think about what I even like about him. Well, he likes human artifacts, as do I. But there were multiple other members of the H.A.S., why does he catch my attention? Maybe because of the detention incident and the Looking Glass Graveyard incident. Whatever, it doesn't matter. I walk out of the bathroom, pick up a remote, and start playing the game.

Matty's POV:

Gus went to the bathroom. I set up the game quickly, then just sat there, my mind racing. If I feel different around Gus. How does he feel around me? Probably sees me as a friend. But that doesn't sound right. Friend. I don't want it to be right. If I don't want him to be my friend, but still care for him and want to spend time with him, what do I see him as? It isn't important, right?  I shouldn't let this get to my head. I don't want to lose my only friend.

I looked over, and Gus was walking over. He picked up a remote and we started playing the game. We played for a few hours. I noticed Gus was kinda quiet, but, when i thought about it, realized that I was being kinda quiet as well. I decided to stay quiet, because the silence wasn't awkward.

"Um.. we've been playing for hours." I say, hoping he catches on. "Oh shoot, you're right!" He says panicked, looking at the time. "I'm supposed to go to Luz's place in thirty minutes, it's five minutes to fly, ten to walk. Do you wanna come?" He quickly spits out. "Uh, sure." I say, getting my stuff together as he does the same. We head out with 7 minutes left until we need to be there. We hop onto Gus's staff, and fly off.

(938 Words)