They were both subdued, quiet. Since it was her birthday, she had been allowed to sleep in—and thus, Theo had joined her. Their conversation lulled as they ate, Theo's meal significantly smaller than hers. She kept sneaking pieces of her bacon onto his plate, and she was sure he noticed, but she didn't mind. After all the blood and gore she'd seen in the past few years, she was seriously considering going vegetarian.

After they had finished eating, she placed both of their plates on the nightstands. She rolled back towards him, looking up at him as she gave him a grin. Then they had begun kissing, and like usual, they hadn't been able to stop.

Now, she found herself curious about what he had gotten her again. It didn't matter that she was going to open her presents any moment, she wanted to know now.

"So, what did you get me for my birthday?"

He smoothed his hand across her cheek, tucking a piece of her hair behind her ear. "Can't tell you. I have to give you your gift when everyone else does."

"Boohoo," she whined. "Give it to me now."

Leaning forward, he kissed her briefly. "Nope. Get ready. I'll tell everyone I knocked on your door and that you're just finishing getting changed, you materialistic girl."

She lifted herself onto her elbow as she watched him slip out of bed. "Can you blame me?"

"No," he said. "I'll buy all the materialistic things you want in the future, baby, but for now you're going to wait like a good girl and abide by normal birthday rituals."

"I feel like you're talking to me like I'm a dog."

"Celestia, sit! Celestia . . . stay. Good dog. Stay!" he mocked.

She stared at him blankly. "Celestia kill Theo. She stab him. With dagger."

With a laugh, he bent down and kissed her. She sagged against him, and she felt him grin against her mouth. She pulled back, slapping his chest softly as she glared up at him.

"Get out."

He dipped his head down and gave her a final peck. Despite the way her lips chased after his, she still was glaring at him. He laughed again. "I'm going, I'm going!"

A moment later, he was vacating the room. Sighing, she flung off her blankets. She slipped out of her bed and lumbered towards her dresser. Flipping through her clothes, she frowned at the lack of options. While she certainly had enough clothes, nearly all of them were jeans and shirts. She hadn't packed a dress — logically thinking, who would need a dress in the middle of a war? But it was her birthday, and she found she wanted to get dressed up.

In the end, she settled on, once again, a skirt and a thin, long-sleeved shirt. It was decidedly casual, but it wasn't like she had anything more formal- or party-esque to wear.

Bounding over to her vanity table, she began working on her makeup. Obviously, it'd be just as casual; the thought made her frown as she began applying mascara. Silly as it may be, she missed getting dolled up and going out.

She had just finished applying her lipstick when Theo knocked on her door and poked his head in. At the sight of her, he grinned.

"I told them I'd come get you and my presents." He made his way across the room. "I don't think they'd notice if we. . ."

He began leaning down, but she jerked her head back. "No way. You're not ruining my lipstick."

"You're just punishing me for not giving you your gift early," he scowled.

A grin carved her painted lips. "A little." She stepped forward and unbuttoned the top two buttons of his shirt. Leaning forward, she pressed a kiss to the top of his bare chest. When she pulled back, there was a lipstick mark. "But also very well because I don't want my makeup ruined."