Chapter XVII

.

.

.

"Ok..." I said quietly while trying to remain calm as anxiety began to form inside me.

"Are you doing anything after work?" John asked.

"Ye- NO OF COURS NOT, WANNA HANG OUT?"

"Not again...!" I thought to myself as I felt my anxiety skyrocket. Why is this even happening?! How is it happen?! Why is it whenever I'm about to say something, that wried thing happens! Different words are getting put into my mouth.

"Why...?" At first, I had no idea why this was happening, but my gut was telling me that this is all because of him, John Doe. But how...?

"I'd love love love to!!" John says with a very happy tone and just quickly walked away.

"What?! Wait!!" I yelled at him as he left, I wanted to stop him, but my legs wouldn't move. He's gone now, and I can't do anything about it. All I can do is get back to work. However, I struggled to keep focus as my body began to tremble and I started to panic.

"I didn't mean to say that... Why did I say that?"

.

.

.

.

I finally got off work. I honestly can't wait to get back home and get some extra sleep, or at least, try and feel safe there. But... I knew that was just wishful thinking, as I was slowly starting to think that I wasn't safe no matter where I go, even my own home.

"Hi!" John says while appearing out of nowhere, I actually forgot he was here!

"Oh-! Geez, you scared me!" I exclaimed as I didn't appreciate his uncalled-for jumpscare. But at least he's still here so I can explain the odd misunderstanding we had back inside the gas station.

"Listen... Earlier I didn't mean to ask if... You know..." I tried to explain but I struggled to get my words out. John however didn't say anything, but when he did begin to talk, he completely ignored my words.

"... Do you like being scared?"

"Oh god, no..."

"YES, I LOVE IT. SCARE ME, DOE. SCARE ME MORE."

As the fake words left my mouth, I and John just stare silently at each other with my mouth covered by my hands. Everything was so quiet, both the anxiety and panic began to grow even bigger. But that all faded away slightly as my bus arrived.

"The bus is here. Please don't follow me." I said while quickly getting on the bus. And yet despite my pled, John still followed me. Though out the whole ride, he just stared at me, not saying a word. Even when the bus came to my stop, he still followed me all the to my apartment. And yet, I didn't tell him to leave. I opened my door and immediately sat down on the couch as John sat next to me.

"Did you enjoy the gift I left you?"

"What? What gift?"

"Oh right, that hasn't happened yet. Here, I can just give it to you." I had no idea what he was saying. However, my whole body immediately shudder at the thing that was in his hands. It was all red and lumpy, with traces of dried blood. Is this roadkill or something?!

"Ugh?! That's disgusting! What is that?" I exclaimed as I pushed myself farther back into the couch. John however hasn't said anything, and that scared me.

"I need to get away from you. Don't follow me," I say as I got up from the couch and ran towards my room. But when I opened the door, it was a room that I don't recognise. The whole floor itself was covered by dirty laundry and trash. 

"This isn't my bedroom... It smells... horrible." Deciding that I can no longer handle the smell, I ran back to my living room. But when I got there, it wasn't even my living room anymore. It didn't even look like a room at all.

"Is everything ok, my love?" John asked me with an unmoving smile. That's when it hit me.

"He tricked me... Led me right into his trap! This wasn't even my home!"

"I'm leaving. I need to get out of here," I said as I ran towards the front door with my panic level shooting through the roof. And as I opened the door, there was nothing but a pitch-black void, with eyes looking at me and mouths smiling. It was there that I realized something, a very scary thought: I couldn't escape.

"Oh god..."

"Don't you see, my dearest? You've always been here." I can feel the anxiety becoming worst, I can feel fear itself crawling up my spine. But ever so slowly, I turned my attention back to John who was standing behind me.

"And I'll make sure you never leave."

"No.... No.... NO!!!!"

.

.

.