𝐈

TW: Kidnapping, torture, murder, and gore

[As It Was - Hozier]
1:40 ─〇───── 2:13
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

Morana's POV

The voices in my head become louder as the ice melts around me. My eyes open at the sound of a click as the glass door opens, letting all the icy air seep out of the cracks. White fog travels all around the room as I'm carried out of Cryo and onto a stretcher. They wheel me out of the room and down a dingy hallway, silent and rushed.

Before I can get to know my surroundings, a barred cell door opens and they tip the stretcher to the side, dropping me on the concrete floor. My body hits the floor as they slam the cell shut, locking me inside. Their footsteps echo down the hall as they leave me by myself - alone with my muddled thoughts.

Through the darkness, I assess my body. The moonlight shines through the barred window at the top of the back wall of my cell, slightly illuminating the room. My knuckles are stained red as my hands tremble. My knees and elbows are cut and bloody, and my skin is pale and bruised. But, before I can do anything to heal myself, a jiggling of keys and a click of the cell door stops me.

I instantly stand on my wobbly legs, hands behind my back and prepared for whatever punishment they will give me. Instead, they throw in a lifeless body and slam the door shut as quickly as it opened. They walk down the hallway and I crouch down to the body, watching its chest slowly rise and fall. I brush the long hair out of its face as I sit on my knees next to its chest. Its eyes shift under its eyelids and before I know it, they pop open, revealing deep, blue eyes. The blue orbs stare back at mine and a glimpse of a smile spreads across its face.

"Morana." It whispers as it grabs my arm and strokes the skin.

"I don't know you." I retract my arm.

It sits up and rubs the back of its head, looking down at the floor. We sit in silence as it looks around the room before its body droops with disappointment. Then, it looks back at me and smiles again. Its smile is beautiful and stands out on its grimy face.

"I'm thirsty, could you help me?" It asks.

I nod my head after studying its face and seeing no malice. From where I sit, I can see that half of the barred window is covered by grass and soil as the cell is underground, so I stand up and walk over to the window. I place my hand through the bars and feel that the soil is wet. I motion for the stranger to grab the bed sheet off of the mattress on the floor and bring it over to me, which it does. I tare off the corner, cupping it in my hands and making a makeshift bowl. The stranger watches me as one of my hands sinks into the soil and the other holds the bowl. I can feel the water running down my arm and as I think of its route, it travels from my fingertips, down my arm and into the bowl. I pick up my hand from the soil and the black colour from my hand dissipates. I give the bowl of water to the stranger and he instantly drinks from it, not seeming shocked or scared by what I did to get it.