Chapter Forty-One

Start from the beginning

Snape sneered at lupin before walking out of his office. The twins were on the way out too when lupin ask them to stay behind.

"I don't want to hear explanations," said Lupin shortly. He lowered his voice. "I happen to know that this map was confiscated by Mr. Filch many years ago. Yes, I know it s a map," he said as Harry and Primrose looked amazed.

"I don't want to know how it fell into your possession. I am, however, astounded that you didn't hand it in. Particularly after what happened the last time a student left information about the castle lying around. And I can't let you have it back, Harry, Primrose."

"You're no fun moony." James whines.

Lily rubs her forehead, tiredly.

The twins had expected that, "Why did Snape think we'd got it from the manufacturers?"

"Because...," Lupin hesitated, "because these mapmakers would have wanted to lure you out of school. They'd think it extremely entertaining."

James and Sirius snorted.

"That's the best you came up with."

"Do you know them?" said Harry, impressed.

"We've met," he said shortly. He was looking at the twins more seriously than ever before.

"Don't expect me to cover up for you again. I cannot make you take Sirius Black seriously. Your parents gave their lives to keep you alive, Harry, Primrose. A poor way to repay them—gambling their sacrifice for a bag of magic tricks."

Primrose shallowed harshly, she had a gut feeling that something wasn't right.

As the twins head to leave they linger briefly in the doorway,

"Professor. Just so you know, I don't think the map always works. Earlier, it showed someone in the castle. Someone I know to be dead."

Professor Lupin seemed to be only half listening, "And who was that, Harry?"

"Peter Pettigrew."

Lupin hesitates ever-so-slightly, then returns to his papers. "Very well. I'd like you to return to your dormitory now. Oh, and Harry? Don't take any detours."

Lupin taps the map. "If you do.
I'll know."

As they leave the room primrose grins.

[the screen zooms out of a crystal ball full of smoke to show the trio in the
Divination classroom.]

"Ugh. Not again."

"Relax... Let your mind... go." Said the misty voice of Professor Trelawney.

The students gaze into crystal balls, faces reflecting the mist within so that their very skin seems to be made of smoke.

Conspicuously, Harry, Ron, and Hermione sit apart.

"Is the redhead still mad about his dumb rat?" Bellatrix questions boredly, waiting for the potter girl to show up on the screen.

"Crystal-gazing requires that you clear the Inner Eye. Only then, will you... See. Oh my, what do we have here...?"

As Trelawney eyes Harry's crystal, Hermione rolls her eyes.