Before the Fall

(Copy and pasted from my ao3 account)

Ink. All you can see for goddamn miles is ink. It's been that way for who knows how long. Walking until your legs hurt, walking some more until your legs are to numb to hurt, and you can't forgot that god forsaken Bacon Soup.

You wander down the endless halls, rusted bolts and ink puddles cornering your eyes at all times. You don't miss the daylight, but that's because you barley remember what it's like. What you do remember are colors, very few, but you remember some of them.

You remember green, you don't know why. There is nothing green to be seen in this studio. You think green was someone important's favorite color, maybe one of your parents?

You gave up trying to get out years ago. Still, you refuse to go insane like the other people here, if you can even call them people anymore.

"My name is y/n. I was an animator at this studio before the fall. My favorite color was f/c. And as far as I can see, there's no way out of here," you recite it like it's poetry. It's a dying memory of your life before this place, desperately grasping on to anything it can get ahold of before it's forgotten forever. Still, you will prevail.

Gurgling noises get louder as you get ready to turn the corner. "I remember my parents names and not much else," you raise the loose pipe you picked up as a weapon, getting ready to turn the corner. "I was best friends with Susie Campbell and Wally Franks. I know this because every now and then I go to replay their voice tapes," The faster you speak the fast you walk. Rounding the corner, you swing you pipe, no human emotion on your face, just going through the motions.

Jump, swing, kill. Jump, swing, and kill. You don't even know it's dead until you feel the ink dripping off your face. You wipe it off. Much longer and it might have consumed you. And anyways, ink tastes sour in your mouth.

You can't help but think back to a simpler time.

——————————————————————————
Before the fall

You look in the mirror and button up your blouse. Today was your one year anniversary with Joey Drew Studios. Finally, you won't be the 'new kid who doesn't know what she's doing.' It was already hard enough for a woman to get a job these days, not to mention the current depression the governments in. So getting to walk into work without whispers saying, 'oh don't ask her, she just joined a few months ago,' was a truly marvelous idea.

A car honks outside. "Give me a second!" You yell to the car, "hold your goddamn horses, Wally," you Mutter as you grab your bag and waltz out the door.

"Well, if it isn't Miss Experienced Animator! How's it feel to be a big shot?" Wally teases, one hand on the wheel, the other pointed playfully at you.

"It feels just fine, thanks for asking," you get in the car and set your bag down, "Although, I could do with not waking up as early."

"I heard that," Wally laughed and hit the gas pedal. You grab your seat, Wally was never an expert driver. In fact, just being in a car with him is fifty-fifty gamble that you'll walk out with a broken arm. You and Wally live relatively in the same neighborhood, so you figure that, since you go to work at the same time, you might as well knock out two birds with one stone.

Fortunately for you, the drive goes surprisingly well and you walk into the studio with all of your limbs still attached. Walking through the hallways, getting smiles and thumbs up from your fellow co-workers, you feel better than you have in a while. To be honest, you didn't think anyone would care. But you suppose everyone is looking for something to celebrate in this god-awful studio.