Chapter 2. Donghun

"What do you mean by strange?" And almost like a reflex, my brother stated those words like it were meant to be heard by the whole city, so once more I had to remind him what it meant to be discreet. Since father and I ended up fighting about the matter, and I quote "You need to believe the founders' choice, they would not leave us this fragment if it was not enough.", I decided to ask my brother, Chan, his thoughts about this matter; he can be young and inexperienced regarding the kingdom's affairs but I never met someone as smart as him. First I had to tell him the whole conversation I had with father, what was about to be reminded of were not memories that pleasant. All the words he shouted at me when I told him about my concerns regarding the fragment of lapis lazuli were echoing in my head all this time. I also don't like to question our ancestors' beliefs but I wouldn't do it if it didn't concern me. Plus, if we believed in the fragment as a source of energy to our shield, why couldn't the legend of the lapis lazuli pearl engraved on the ancient stone papyrus be real?

After I finish talking I give some minutes to Chan so he can process all my words, but, as per usual, it doesn't take him long to give me an answer.

"You know that father isn't wrong, right? You cannot base your worries in something only you saw. The fact that no one is allowed to be inside the sacred hall when the fragment is being placed on the pedestal besides the placer itself doesn't help you at all. But I've known you all my life to be certain that you would never mention something that is not worth wasting time with. So, maybe you are not completely wrong."

Hearing those words coming out of his mouth was like all the weights put above my shoulders by my father's words were taken away. Talking to him was always the best opinion I had when I felt overwhelmed with all the kingdom's affairs, but honestly, it was not like I had a lot of options. But I never minded talking to him because who could understand me better than him? The only challenge I had all the time was finding him alone, because he spent almost every second possible with his best friend, BK.

I tried to be at ease and believe my father's words as my ancestors' beliefs but all that becomes meaningless when I find myself looking at the shield becoming lighter and lighter until it's finally gone. Without the shield we were vulnerable, and almost as if they knew about it, I saw them emerging behind the coral reef just outside the city, the circes, swimming at all speed towards us.