Chapter 8 - Break In

Third-Person POV

Even though Peter said they left at dawn, Tilly knocked some sense into him and made him change the plan to the middle of the night, where they would have more of an advantage. That left them where they are now. Peter, Susan, and Caspian are on the ground with the troops, while Tilly and Edmund soar above, with the help of a griffin, who quietly drops them on one of the watch tower turrets. The guard on watch turns around, hearing the subtle scratching sound of the griffin's talons against the clad roof. Paying no mind to the confusing sound, the man turns his back to the turret allowing the griffin to yank him up while Tilly and Ed drop to the ground. The two glance around quickly, making sure they're alone, then move over to the edge, where Edmund uses his torch to signal to the others.

More griffins fly over in the dead of night, dropping soldiers around the castle, while back on the edge of the Great Wood, Glenstorm and his troops, who are the second wave, begin their walk to the castle, as Peter's group is the first wave. Reepicheep, one of Peter's men and two other mice manage to climb through the drains and break into the castle. Edmund's signal is Peter, Susan, Caspian and Trumpkin sign to carry out their phase. The griffins fly into the sky, hovering over the castle, trying to find a place to land, when they see a guard. Peter nods to Caspian and his griffin, which take him down low enough to strike the guard and knock him out. The three keep going when they pass a guard who notices Edmund's light. The guard smirks, aiming his bow at the young King, but Sue is way ahead of him and shoots him before he has a chance. Peter drops to the ground fighting with a soldier with the others close behind him. Slowly a few Narnians snuck into the castle unnoticed and knocked out any guards they found. Reepicheep and his band of mice reach the gatehouse, where the gates and draw bridges winches are all located. The three mice draw their swords as their leader peers around the corner, finding the castle cat fast asleep in its bed.

"I know Queen Matilda said she loves cats, but this is for our safety." The lead mouse says, walking towards the cat with his sword held high.

Meanwhile, Susan slowly lowers Peter down the side of the castle onto the ledge of the Professors library where Caspian is waiting. The Prince knock on the window before jimmying it open quietly and sneaking inside. The two boys enter the room, the younger one panicking at the dishevelled room, but Peter has no care for this sidetracking and wants to get back to the main part of the plan.

"I have to find him." The Prince says to the group as Susan and Trumpkin come through the window.

"You don't have time," Peter argues. "You need to open the gate."

"You wouldn't even be here without him. And Neither would I." He answers sharply, making Peter turn to Susan, who sighs, looking at how desperate Caspian is.

"You and I can deal with Miraz."

"And I can still get to the gate in time," Caspian says before dashing off with Trumpkin following closely behind. An unsuspecting guard turns the corner into the gatehouse, finding the ginger cat's paws bound together and its mouth tightly shut. Reepicheep swings down towards the guard, butting him in the head and forcing him to fall unconscious. As he does that, his men attack another guard that arrives. The three mice stack on top of each other, opening the door and allowing Trumpkin can come in just in time to take down the other guard with an arrow.

"Ah!" Reepicheep exclaims. "We were expecting someone, you know, taller." He says, looking the dwarf up and down.

"You're one to take." He gruffly replies.

"Is that supposed to be irony?" The mouse says, sheathing his sword as Trumpkin shuts the doors.

Caspian broke into the cells, falling to his knees beside the sleeping Professor shaking him awake, which startled the poor man.