season 2|summer of '83

Začít od začátku

"You're not worried I'll tell her?" I asked as he took a drag.

He hummed slightly. "Hmm. No." 

"Why not?" I crossed my arms. 

"I know you. Telling her's more trouble to you than it's worth." 

I scoffed, amused and intrigued. I watched the orange light lick up his soft features, and I could tell his observation wasn't meant to be an insult. He held out the cigarette to me. I took it and took a puff, the addicting burn twisting through my body. 

"Guess you've got me all figured out, then." I came up with a sarcastic quim. A simple but effective way to squash any transgressions of sentimental value in the conversation.

Steve's stare lingered on me. He forced the smile growing on his lips to barely curl above a straight line. "No," he chuckled. "Not even close." 

July 4th, 1983

July 4th, 1983. 

Steve's parents were, once again, absent all of the summer. From supposed 'business trips' to vacations that they never bothered to take him along on. It became very apparent after the second week of hosting non-stop parties that Steve's parents couldn't give less of a shit about Steve or what he got up to during the summer. 

So when July 4th came around, it was inevitable that the celebration would take place at Steve's.

 And oh boy, it was a party, alright. 

The music was so loud the walls shook. I clutched a beer tight in my hand as I waded through the crowd of sweaty teenagers. I was in pursuit of Eddie, whom I had invited despite Steve's protests. I knew he had some of that wonderful Devil's lettuce on his person, and I sure as hell needed some to deal with such a large crowd of people. 

I didn't realize how many people Steve knew or more people who knew Steve. I doubted he recognized half the people around here, but he must've found enough he did know to keep himself occupied. Thankfully, I hadn't seen him all night. 

"Eddie!" I shouted when I saw a poof of frizzy curls amongst the crowd. 

He swung around instantly. "Sparky!" his face lit up. He pushed through the congregation of people between us. 

"You came," I said, surprised. 

"You called," he said definitively, cheers-ing with the air before gulping some of his beer. fr

I found myself smiling and leaning in closer. "Got anything on you?" 

He feigned offense. "Me? Your local drug dealer? Not have drugs?" 

I giggled and interlocked our arms. I pulled him outside, and we took two lounge chairs by the pool. While Eddie lit up, I looked around. 

Steve and Tommy were doing keg stands while Nancy and Carol watched not far away. Nancy looked pissed, but Carol seemed to be trying to convince her the spectacle was funny.