In The Silence, When Thereʼs No One By Your Side

Start from the beginning

Coming to a stop in front of Katsuki, Shouto leaned down a little. Katsuki scowled at the barest hint of the height difference between them. Shoutoʼs lips twitched as if he knew exactly what the blond was thinking.

“Letʼs go to that curry place you like around the corner.”

Katsukiʼs scowl was immediately washed off, replaced with an irritated expression, “How do you know about that?”

Shouto smirked with barely a twitch to his lips, a knowing look in his eyes before he shrugged, “I have my ways.”

Katsuki narrowed his eyes, before deciding to come back to this matter on a later date and agreed. They had to get permission from their teacher but it worked out fairly well in the end. Katsuki had led them to a smaller building between the two popular restaurants, choosing a booth that kept them hidden from prying eyes and then proceeded to order the spiciest thing on the menu. Shouto had ordered the same, along with a strawberry milkshake and Katsuki had laughed at him, asking him if Shouto was sure he could handle the spices, considering his bland tastes—Shouto grumbled, “I eat Soba because itʼs my favourite, not because my taste is bland.” Katsuki had responded with a quip of his own, “You just proved my point.”—and then their bowls of curry were arriving, the smell wafting off them nearly causing Katsuki to drool from hunger.

Katsuki waited for Shouto to take a bite, watching with a focused stare as Shouto continued chewing and swallowed the whole bite, barely breaking a sweat or scrunching his nose at the taste. Katsuki felt compelled to start shouting at him, to ask him how, but refrained from doing so at the smug look Shouto adorned as he gazed at Katsuki whilst taking another bite, pointing with his eyes before asking, “Arenʼt you going to eat?”

The blond floundered, scowling at Shouto and proceeding to inhale his own food, choosing to ignore the burning in his cheeks, pretending like it was from the spicy food they were eating, despite knowing deep-down that he never got red in the face from spices. Shouto barely had a tilt to his lips, but it caused Katsukiʼs stomach to go around in circles and somersault all the same. It felt nice knowing he could have this, despite never actually giving a relationship much thought.

(Katsuki pretended like the lingering glances and the tightening of his chest didnʼt exist whenever he was around Shouto, or it simply originated from his anger. Though it was strange to anyone who knew Katsuki for barely even five minutes how the blond never actually exploded on Shouto. The blond did love to act the opposite of what he felt.

Though, strangely enough, Shouto could always bring out a soft side of him, by barely even trying.)

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

They spent their days in a similar manner.

Shouto would suggest a place, sometimes that contained spicy foods, sometimes just fast foods—Katsuki always denied going to these, because, “You need to start eating healthy instead of fucking wrecking your stomach, you stupid IcyHot.”—and sometimes Soba places that Shouto wanted to try out. Katsuki slowly started to throw in suggestions too, sometimes they only ate out, sometimes they walked around for a bit. Sometimes they chose to hang out in the commons, or in the gym, sparring with each other whenever they felt like it.

It had been a few weeks since they decided to go out, and Katsuki couldnʼt hide the strange glow of happiness to his face, no matter how hard he tried to. His stomach still did the somersaults whenever he caught even a glimpse of red-white hair and a burn scar that beautifully matched the features of the Half-and-Half Bastard. Being with the stupid idiot didnʼt make Katsuki like him any less. The way Shoutoʼs eyebrows would scrunch slightly whenever he concentrated on something, or the way he would lick his lips after drinking something disgustingly sweet—Katsukiʼs words—or even the way he would get this crazy glint in his eyes whenever he went up against his other classmates in practice matches. Katsuki couldnʼt believe the amount of love he harboured for that clueless dumbass. It made him love the asshole even more.