Chapter Three: The Pollywog

"I still don't get why they call him zombie boy," Max says as she, Gabby, and Lucas walk down the hallway

"I mean, I get it. He got lost in the wood for a week or something, but why is he a zombie? Because everyone thought he was dead?" Max asked.

"Yeah. I mean we had a funeral for him and everything." Lucas says nervously.

"After a week?" She asked in disbelief.

"Well see, some other kid drowned at the quarry. We thought it was Will because the body was super decomposed." Gabby tells her.

"What?" Max says as she stopped. "Okay, that's not funny."

"It's not a joke, all right? It's public knowledge. You can ask anybody." Lucas says.

"Except Will, because he is really sensitive about it. All right?" Gabby says to her.

She nods her head before saying, "okay." Before they head into class.

......

"The case of Phineas Gage is one of the great medical curiosities of all time," Mr. Clarke explains, "Phineas was a railroad worker in 1848 who had a nightmarish accident. A large iron rod was driven completely through his head. Phineas miraculously survived. He seemed fine."

"And physically, yes, he was," Mr. Clarke continued, "But his injury resulted in a complete change to his personality."

Gabby sees Will look over at Max, and she quickly looked away when she sees him looking at her. Will turned back around.

"At the time, this was known as the American Crowbar Case. Although it wasn't a-" Mr. Clarke said but got interrupted by Dustin changing through the door panting.

"I am so sorry, Mr. Clarke," Dustin panted, "Really, I'm so sorry. Please continue with the class. Don't mind me."

They all looked at Dustin as he sat down at his desk.

The class was silent as Dustin did this and he kept saying, "Really, continue, please. Thanks."

"Although it wasn't a crowbar, it was a rod, as I said," Mr. Clarke said to continue the lesson.

Dustin turned around to his friends and said softly, "We have to meet. All of us. At lunch, AV Club."

"Why?" Gabby asked him.

"I have something that you won't believe," Dustin said.

They all nodded and looked back at Mr. Clarke. But Dustin turned around and looked at Max and says, "AV Club. Lunch."

"Dustin!" Mr. Clarke says.

"Yes, my lord?" Dustin asked causing Gabby to giggle a little.

"Would you care to join the class now?"