The First Trial

Agus, Furze, Kindle, Edge, Eryx, and Dumble stared in awe at the grand rooms of the palace. Each one was more extravagant than the last as they neared the heart of the colossal building. Zar was near the head of the procession, prepping his mind for the possibilities ahead. They were led by uniformed soldiers in shimmering silver armor.

At last, they reached the tall doors of their destination. The soldiers pushed them open, releasing a flood of delicious smells, warmth, and light. Dripping over the long table was a feast fit for hundreds of people.

Great golden turkeys, still sizzling from their spit, hung in a line down the runner. Dark, creamy cakes towered over the candelabras. A fat suckling pig waited patiently in the center of the table with a ruby apple glistening in its maw. Red-hot crabs steamed with dollops of butter melting on their backs. Dozens of fish lounged over a bed of lemons and greens. An enormous wine keg stood off to the side, its presence made known from its rich, fermented scent that permeated throughout the large dining room.

King Invictus sat at the head of the expanse. Kiera, in a low-cut amber dress, sat on his left. Her previously loose hair was now pinned up into a tight pile atop her head. She boredly watched as the seven entered the room. Her eyes widened when she saw Zar.

"And so," declared the king, "The first trial begins!"

"This is the first trial?" Kindle elbowed Eryx. "I like these trials."

"The test is simple:" the king instructed, "You must clear the table without removing any of its occupants from the room, including the wine. You have one hour." He turned an hourglass upside down, marking their start time.

The king rose and walked out of the room without another word. Kiera obediently followed behind. Zar caught her eye as the doors closed behind them.

"Well, it ain't going to eat itself!" Kindle jeered. The seven plated up potatoes, pies, pork, and poultry. The mix of aromas was intoxicating.

After only half an hour they were forced to stop. They could eat no more, but there was still the rest of the feast to go.

"There's too much, we can't finish in time," said Agus, slumped over in a chair. "And there's still the wine keg."

Edge laid on his back on the floor. "Naw, I bet we could do it." He glanced at the hourglass and his brow creased with worry.

Out of the blue, Zar realized something. "Isn't it curious how the king didn't say it needed to be eaten?"

"Well, how do we get rid of it, if we can't eat it or toss it out the window?" asked Dumble.

Zar was thinking. They had to destroy the food; that would be the only way. That only left the wine. . .

"Kindle," he ordered, "Burn the food."

Kindle perked up from under the table. "All of it?"

"All of it. As fast as you can. I'm sure the king can afford another table."

Kindle jumped up and stood on top of the table. He ignited into a bonfire and ran up and down the spread. The food hissed and squealed from the heat, blackening and shriveling up. The wax from the candles melted instantaneously, dissipating into oily puddles. The fire consumed the food before their eyes.

By the time Kindle was finished, the candelabras were warped and hunched over. The delectable feast had transformed into foul-smelling ash and cinders. The grand table was damaged beyond repair and began to crumble under its own weight.

"Now what?" asked Kindle, dusting ash off his vest.

"We need to do something about the wine." Zar thought out loud. "We can't dump it out, it can't be burned. Is it that straightforward?"

He retrieved an ashen goblet that was less warped than the rest of the cups. The hourglass showed they only had a few minutes left.

"Agus, you need to drink the wine. There's no time left," Zar commanded.

"With pleasure," Agus grinned. He turned into an elephant and thundered to the vat, dropping his trunk into the wine. While Agus drained the wine vat by the gallon, the rest of them exchanged honors to each other.

"To the man whose nose is as sharp as his attitude." Drink.

"To the man who cannot be trampled." Drink.

"To the man older than the earth." Drink.

"To the man with a stinging vernacular." Drink, belch.

"To the man whose clothes are miraculously fire-proof." Drink, Hiccup.

"To the man as slender as his eyes." Drink, giggle.

"To the man who never laughs." Drink, slump.

Agus drained the entire keg. He turned back into a human and hiccuped with his nose a light pink shade.

The king and his soldiers entered the room precisely as the sand ran out. The group was found drunkenly dozing on the floor. The table laid in a blackened heap of embers and the wine keg was dry.

They passed the first trial.