Part 6: We're not broken, don't fix us

Hesitance.

I guess it should be expected to be nervous about losing your super-powers, but as I stare at the container that holds my cure, I feel something screaming in my gut. 'Don't do it, isn't this what you wanted?'

"How does it feel Norman? You're about to become whole again." Otto speaks sympathetically to his friend, and I snap out it, mentally thanking Octavius for breaking me out of my thoughts. It looks like the anti-serum is very close to being done. "No more darker half... Just you."

"Just me...." I hear Norman mumble in a weird way, turning to Otto with a jovial smile, who reciprocate one in return. I know this is the part where I smile sympathetically as well, but the way Norman said that seemed off, he didn't say it like he was eager for it. More like he doesn't want it at all.

I step forward to get closer to the fabricator, observing the cure. It looks to be in a similar canister as mine, although unlike mine where you pretty much have to drink it, this one has some needles to inject into somewhere on the body.

Norman notices and turns to me. "You excited for your cure, kiddo?" He asks in a low voice, immediately bringing my nervousness back. 

I shrug. "I guess...." I hesitantly answer. Norman gives me a look, curious why I phrased it like that. I let out a sigh, glancing at the anti-alloy. "Life was fine..... But besides Ned, and the others, I never really was in love with my life before all.... this happened." I gesture to my charcoal skin. "There's also the fact that once I'm cured, I won't be 'dead' anymore." I then mention. 

It's true, I probably lost my job at this point, and I'll still have the Inner Demons after me if I don't give them that money. I mean it's not like I have bank blueprints in my back pocket. 

Norman thinks for a moment, but then pats my shoulder in a comforting way. "I understand, life doesn't reward the kind-hearted." He then says in a knowing way, his voice still barely audible. "Even with an entire company to my name, I have to suffer from the selfishness of my co-workers, and employers." He then brings up. I look at him as he now just looks at the fabricator as he talks. "My old 'friends' tried to shut my own company down, behind my back they talked, wanting to take advantage of their position that I lent to them. But thankfully I was able to.... prevent that from happening." He then finishes, clearing hinting something at the end.

"How?" I question. He then turns back to me, an amused smile on his face. 

"Weird as it may sound, if it wasn't for my new.... abilities, I would've had my life's work destroyed." He states reflectingly. The room is now silent besides the machine, the conversation ending.

I then glance down at my hands, I reflect how I've never really been bothered by my new body. Besides a few moments like that plastic water bottle, I kind of liked what I became, what I'm able to do.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

"I kinda like who I am here, and all the power I had back there.... I could be so much more." 

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Do I really want to be 'fixed'?

_____________________________________

I decide to head into the kitchen, hoping to find something for

"Okay.... Umm, it just goes right here, like this." Peter slowing brings a device Max's chest, who looks with suspicion at the spider's face looking uncertain as he embeds a drainer on his chest. It hums, beeps, and then begins counting down in a circle, tiny lights flashing up one by one. "That should be drawing power now. I'm gonna come back in a second just to check on it, but... keep an eye on the lights. When they're all green, it means all the electricity in your body's dissipated." He begins to explain, but then pauses to rephrase. "Well, not all the electricity. I mean, obviously you know you need electricity for your brain to function... Your nervous system is..." He stutters. Noticing Max's face. Peter then realizes who he's talking to. "I'm not really sure why I'm explaining electricity to you."