Chapter Nine: All I'm Good For

Start from the beginning

"Oh my- that was really good!" Perhaps I owe those servants an apology. I pulled out two wine glasses and poured us both a drink. She took a sip from the glass while looking away. Her curly hair was sitting just at her shoulders, meaning she had cut it. She wore a yellow dress that I'm sure didn't cost much at a tailor shop. But she wore it so well that you would assume it was custom-made. The sun began to set, and the orange haze made her brown skin shine. How could someone look so beautiful? I was utterly smitten.

I often found myself staring at her face more than her body. I could analyze every part of her, like her wispy black lashes and soft, plump lips with a hint of pink. In my eyes, she was utterly beautiful, but not just on the outside. I liked everything about her; she always knew what was wrong and how quickly she could call you out on your own shit. Vex was unlike any woman I have ever met, and I wanted her to myself.

"You okay? You seem like you've been worried about something." Vex questions while lowering her glass

"Honestly, I never realized just how fragile humans are. When you passed out, I was so worried I thought my heart would rip out of my chest. Now I'm worried that everything could kill or hurt you." I admit, and she laughed,

"I am not that fragile. You don't have to worry too much about me. I promise I won't fall apart." She smiled while touching my arm lightly.

"You better not, or I'm kicking Annabelle's ass," I joke, and she snorts while drinking from her glass. Wine spilled on her lip, giving her a wine mustache. She lowered her glass again, and I reached over to wipe it for her.

"How unladylike," I teased, and she rolled her eyes. I raised her head by her chin and used my thumb to swipe it away lightly. I looked down at her lips and hesitated. My hand lingered on her chin for a moment before I removed it. I couldn't bring myself even to try to kiss her. My heart was hammering in my chest. Vex looked away,

"Wow, look at that sunset." She pointed out. That was the main reason I bought you, I wanted to admit, but I lacked the courage. What is the matter with me? If I keep hesitating, Jax may sweep her off her feet. After a few minutes of psyching myself up, I finally decided just to be open with her,

"Vex, I-"

"Draci, can I say something?" She turned back to face me.

"Oh, of course."

"You know, when I was completely exhausted these past few days, I spent a lot of time with my thoughts. I realized I never really got to talk to you about how I felt about the whole dining room situation." Oh no. I didn't want to talk about this persay. Even though I had a feeling, we would have this conversation eventually. She ended our courtship but didn't express how she felt about it at all. If I wanted our relationship to progress, I would have to face what I have done.

"When I heard how you spoke about me like I was an object. Or something to hold over your brother as if I was his possession. It pissed me off. But I realized that many things you said weren't directed towards me. We both agreed on that. But it made me wonder if someone has ever made you feel like an object. Is that why you were so quick to call what we had just some pursuit for ass?" She questioned.

Me? Why would anyone treat me like an object? I'm Draci, the second son of the King. No one would dare treat me like a measly object. Sebrina flashed into my mind briefly, and it pissed me off.

"Why would anyone treat me like an object? I'm a prince." I replied confidently, but I could tell by the way she looked at me she didn't believe me.

"Don't look at me like that. I did say some stupid stuff back then, but it wasn't because I was talking about myself." I grumbled while standing up.