t e n

Ponder

High

Red

Exploit

Arrogate

My eyes wandered over the words on the ceiling as I lay on the mattress.

My host had mysteriously disappeared after handing me a pile of clothes that I assumed belonged to Lex and so after shifting the book away from the pillow, I'd lain down.

Realising that Elena was probably waiting up for me, I grabbed my phone and called her.

Click.

"Celeste, where are you?"

"I'm staying over at—-" I stopped myself. "A friend's house."

"A little warning would've been nice."

"I'm not a child."

There was a moment of silence. "Yes, yes, you aren't," she finally said. "I-I need to remember that." Her voice sounded distant, far away. Then she snapped back. "Okay then, have fun."

"Bye."

Click.

Tossing my phone back onto the floor, I lay there for a few moments until I heard footsteps and Harry walked in, carrying two mugs of something sweet-smelling and hot.

"Hot chocolate," he said, handing one to me as I sat up. "With marshmallows."

Mini white marshmallows bobbed in the rich brown liquid and I smiled. "Thanks."

He took a seat next to me and we sipped our hot chocolate in silence.

Then, I broke it. "Red," I said. "Why d'you write red?"

Harry seemed confused for a moment. "Oh." He looked up at the ceiling where the word was sprawled. "It's the only thing I see when I'm angry, I guess. Red."

I nodded. "No wonder they're not many happy words here. Anger kind of prevents that, right?"

Harry looked at me and I looked at him.

Then he leaned over and kissed me. Just like that.

Our hands were still curled around the mugs but that didn't stop my every fibre from heating up. He tasted like hot chocolate.

Then he pulled away and my eyes remained closed for a moment.

"I thought you weren't good for me," I stated when I'd opened my eyes.

"I thought that was your decision."

I laughed, softly and then we went back to drinking our hot chocolates.

It was a wonderful night. We stayed up late, talking about nothing really and we kissed and we fell asleep side-by-side at two a.m with angry words surrounding us and papers under us.

It was quite romantic.

The mattress was cold when I woke up. Harry was no longer next to me and I sat up and stretched, my bones retaliating.

With a yawn, I waded through the mass of papers and books towards the bathroom. My clothes were neatly folded on the dresser and I grabbed them as I went by.

After showering and brushing my teeth with a spare toothbrush Harry had given me last night, I headed out into the hall and went down the staircase.

It was a Saturday and so, I didn't have work.

"Hey," he said from behind me and I whirled around. Dressed in the usual jeans and loose V-neck, he looked absolutely dashing and relaxed.

"Morning," I replied.

"C'mon, I've made breakfast," he said and walked into the kitchen.

I copied and was greeted by the delicious smell of fresh, hot waffles.

"Oh, Lord," I breathed, giddily. "Waffles are my favourite."

"I know," he smiled. "I asked Elena."

That kind of put a damper on my mood but it vanished when I began to eat and Harry placed a mug of coffee next to my plate.

"Did you ask her about that too?" I inquired, nodding towards the coffee.

Harry shook his head. "You taste like coffee so I guessed."

You taste like coffee.

"Well, now I guess I taste like waffles," I commented, looking down at my plate.

"Maybe."

"Would you like to find out?"

Harry's eyebrows rose and a smile danced across his lips. "Would you like me to kiss you?"

"I suppose I could tolerate it," I said, nonchalantly and Harry laughed.

Then his lips connected with mine and my arms crossed over his neck, pulling him closer.

Since I was on the stool and he was standing, he had to place his hands on either side of the stool to steady himself as we kissed and I felt giddy when his thumbs glided over my hips.

Then I pulled back and he smiled down at me. "Coffee with a hint of waffles."

I returned the smile and went back to finishing my breakfast.

"I should..." I placed my plate and mug in the sink when I'd finally finished. "I should get back..."

"Home?" he asked, leaning against the counter.

No, I wanted to say. I never felt at home there. Home was here. Home was here in the bare room, filled with books and papers, with words raging over the walls, on the mattress with the thin blanket, next to the boy who smelled like ink and new books and who tasted like cinnamon, hot chocolate and alcohol.

This was home.

"Yeah," I said instead. "Thanks for taking care of me for the night. It was...It was perfect."

Harry straightened and walked over to me. I knew what he was going to do and already, my cells were jumping.

"Thank you for staying," he whispered. "With me."

And then the doorbell rang and it was thoroughly ruined.

"Harry!" It was Lex pounding on the door. "Harry, open up!"

Sighing, Harry disappeared into the hall. I heard the door open and then Lex was scolding Harry and she swept into the kitchen, her face pink with anger.

"And you!" She frowned, glaring at me. "How could you?"

"What did I—" I began as Harry walked in again.

"Kissing him? Really, Celeste? You of all people—"

"How did you—"

"I went to your house," she fumed. "And Elena said you were staying at a friend's house so I came over here and while crossing the street, I saw you two kissing. Next time, close your curtains!"

Harry groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Lex—"

"No!" she whirled on him, clenching her fists. "You cannot –will not—corrupt her!"

"Lex, he's not corrupting me," I told her. Wrong thing to say.

"You don't even know!" Lex retorted, angrily. "He could've prevented the death of our mother but..." Her expression changed to shock and regret when the words left her mouth. "Oh, Harry, I didn't...I didn't mean that."

But Harry had stormed out.

{IM SORRY MY WATTPAD WAS BLOCKED IDK WHY BUT ITS BACK NOW ILY ALL btw next chapter is info loaded so pay attention ly all}