seven

After they ate, Matt began meditating. He needed to heal so he could go out. They were too close to ending things with Fisk now. And in his current state, he knew that he wouldn't be able to argue with Evelyn about him going out. All she'd have to do was push him and he'd fall over. Not to mention, when she returned, she also came back with a duffle bag. She was fully planning on staying however long and when he teased her about it, she told him it was his punishment. Except he didn't have the heart to tell her that having her around was the opposite of a punishment for him.

As he meditated, Evelyn worked on some marketing. A couple of her clients were planning some big sales soon and she needed to start creating ads and scheduling posts. She even marked them in her calendar because they were definitely something she wanted to check out for herself. She deserved some retail therapy after all she had been dealing with lately.

Just as she finished helping get Matt into bed for the night, her phone rang, Shirley's name popping up. She let out a small groan causing him to tilt his head to the side. "It's Shirley." She informed him before answering in her usual cheery voice.

"Eve, I'm so sorry to call so late, especially after Claire told me you're helping to take care of a sick friend but a high-profile patient has just come in and we could really use your help."

"There's really no one else there that could help with setting up a room or making sure they know where the good coffee is while they wait for updates?"

"It's Wilson Fisk and everyone is already buzzing. You've always been so good at discretion and treating everyone equally. We could really use you."

Evelyn let out a sigh. "Text me the details and I'm assuming you've already got a room in mind?"

"Yes, ma'am. I owe you big time. See you soon."

With a sigh, she hung up and went over to where she left her duffle bag. Not long after, Shirley had sent all of the details. The ER nurse had upset him, he had called in his own private physician, and he had quite the security detail. Claire was assigned a different area. The others who were typically assigned to help with the patient experience weren't too thrilled at the fact that the irate person was Wilson Fisk. And of course, after she had just dealt with the aftermath of keeping secrets.

There was no way she was going to tell Matt or even Foggy. They'd both fight to keep her at home and she did not need either of them to get pulled in any further than they already were. She supposed HIPAA was on her side.

"When did you start to be on call?" Matt asked.

She chuckled as she pulled on a nicer shirt. Luckily she could still wear her leggings and she still looked professional. "When apparently a high profile patient comes in and everyone forgets how to behave."

"I hope you're being taken care of for doing this."

"I will be." She placed a kiss on his forehead. "Now please try to get some sleep. And please don't do anything stupid while I'm gone."

"Yes, doctor. " He smirked a bit up at her.

She rolled her eyes affectionately. "Good night, Matty." And she was out the door.

⠙⠙

The scene she came across when she arrived in the ER lobby was intimidating, to say the least. Suits filled the room, all of them men looking completely serious as they scanned the room, awaiting orders. She took a deep breath, tugged on the hem of her shirt to straighten it out, and made her way over to Wilson Fisk.

Before she could even reach him, a man with dark hair and glasses stepped forward and stopped her in her path. "And you are?"

"My name is Evelyn Jones. I work with patient experience here and I first wanted to come out to apologize for how Miss Marianna was escorted back into the ER. We know this is a scary time but it is for the safety of the patient that we don't allow loved ones to go immediately back with them, especially until we know everything that's going on. We wouldn't be able to provide timely care if we also were attending to loved ones at the same time."