𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝐿𝑋𝑉𝐼𝐼

~Unforgotten, Unforgiven~

September 1474, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland....

Catherine could not help the butterflies that filled her stomach as she stepped into the chapel of Alnwick Castle. It had been nine years, nine long years since she'd set foot on her family's land and yet as she stared around, it was unmistakably all the same. The same pale stone, the same tall towers.

The only change was that Percy banners fluttered from the windows once more, the red and yellow linen almost glowing in the Autumn sun. They had been freshly cleaned for the wedding day and many red roses lay about, a slight of any York was to see them but Catherine wouldn't tell and she was sure Richard wouldn't either when he arrived.

It would be any moment now for while she and their children had arrived the prior night, he had had a meeting of the North to attend to.

A velvet carpet lay beneath her feet, softening the footsteps that had moments ago echoed along the corridors. Multicoloured light descended on the skirts of her gown as she stepped into the vast chamber, streaming from windows she had known as long as she breathed.

She had been christened in this chapel, been held in her Mother's arms and her Father's while the Priest murmured sacred words she was not yet able to understand.

This was where her life truly began and where it now became complete, in the mids of  rows of stone effigies depicting her descendants. The heroes of the stories her grandfather had once told her.

Their magnificent graves filled her gaze and she couldn't help but smile, a feeling of solace filling her heart. Now that Alnwick was returned to Percy hands, it did not feel like the stranger it had become in Neville ones. Nine years ago she had felt out of place, an intruder in her own home but now....now it felt right near she smiled.

She let the shards of blue, red, yellow and green light fall on her face, warming her skin, warming her heart as she took the rosary from her belt and clutched it close.
"Thank you" She whispered and kissed the cold beads "thank you for bringing me home"

"Sister?" Her head jerked up, eyes flying open and blowing wide at the sound of her brother's voice. How had she not seen him when she entered? He stood beside their Father's grave, a rosary almost identical to hers wrapped around his calloused hands. But it was not only that, he almost shone in the light of the son, garbed in cloth of silver that sparkled each time he moved.

A golden chain of office sat on his shoulders and his hair was freshly washed, making the dark curls shine on his head. His wedding attire was certainly a sight to behold but so were the tears that streamed down his face, glistening in the depths of his eyes.