𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑋𝑋𝐼𝐼𝐼

~Sons and Heirs~

~Sons and Heirs~

11th of February 1466, Westminster Palace....

Catherine lay her sewing to the side as Margery all but flew through the doors of her chambers, a scroll in hand that bore the royal seal of England. It had been but two days since she had made her request from the Queen but it seemed her charm and timing had worked!

"It's here!" The Duchess breathed, beaming at her friend as she was handed the sacred scroll and resisted the urge to tear open the seal there and then, with reckless abandon. 'No' She thought as eager fingers reached for it, this must be done carefully, slowly. After all, her family's salvation could be contained within the rolled up parchment and not one ounce of damage could be done to it.

Nervous excitement bubble in her stomach.
This could be her family's making or her undoing, all of it lay on Elizabeth's wiles; her beauty and the babe growing in her womb.

"Open it" Margery encouraged, taking a seat next to her mistress "You will only know once you do!" Catherine nodded, taking a shaky breath as she slowly peeled back the crimson seal and the parchment unravelled in her hands. An array of colours were painted around the boarder, elegant writing filling the space between them, with the all important Edward R at the bottom.

"This is it!" She breathed and Margery giggled, urging her to read on. She did.

Her eyes darted of the first lines of writing, mostly formalities, words of state that had to be spoken for legal terms. But that was not what she wanted. She wanted to see if she had achieved her family's salvation and, soon enough....she found she had.

I, King Edward of England, fourth of that name since the conquest, do see fit to bestow all the rights of the Barony of de Poynings to Eleanor De Poynings, daughter of Sir Richard de Poynings and former Countess of Northumberland.

Furthermore, I bestow upon her son, the notably noble Henry Percy, formerly Earl of Northumberland, the castle of Berkeley and all the surrounding lands. Let my orders be bestowed from this day, the tenth of February in the year of our Lord 1466.

Edward R

Catherine let out a cry of joy, springing from her seat as tears of happiness flooded to her eyes. She had done it! She had saved her family, restored them, perhaps not to favour, but to riches, to status! Berkeley Castle was perhaps one of the grandest in the land, with comfort all around. Her Mother and brother would no longer live in dark shame, they would live in light!

Her brother may not have the Earldom of Northumberland but the blow would be lessened now, especially since Eleanor now held the rights to her Barony! Oh, she had won, she thought triumphantly, not a full victory but a small one! She had helped her family, she, Catherine Percy, the Duchess of Gloucester, second Lady in the land, had saved her Mother and her brother!