Human/Graceless!Castiel and Dean Winchester

((This is exactly the same plot line as the original show, just this time, Castiel still doesn't have his grace. Then this happens. Enjoy.))

Dean took in a quick breath as he plunged his blade into the last demon. The glowing embers of the dying creature burned inside it's vessel, and he looked into its eyes as it faded. He pushed the now limp body off the knife, and his eyes followed as it collapsed to the ground with a sickening sound. Loosely wiping the bloodied knife on his sleeve, Dean looked around.

Dozens of dead bodies were piled out in front of him. How many had he killed? 30? 40? Counting was useless. Cas and Dean had been ambushed by so many...

It didn't matter what happened to vessels at that point. They kept coming and coming, and he and Castiel had finally finished them off. Metal had met metal, flesh with flesh. The hunter had escaped with what seemed at worst with a sprained wrist and several cuts along his body, but he would live. Sweat and flecks of blood speckled his face.

A heavy but all too familiar groan came from behind him.

"Dean."

His whole body moved in one swift motion towards the point of noise. The freckled face of the man was overcome with shock in an instant, his eyes growing wide.

"Cas?"

Fallen angel or not, Cas was bleeding. Large and quickly growing blots of blood on his body were emerging at full speed. Everywhere. Cas's usually crisp and clean white shirt became some sort of sickly canvas, and what seem to be soon followed by his trench coat. His face held a large gash along side his temple, and a crack on his bottom lip.

Cas clenched his abdomen tightly and gazed up at Dean. His face went from panic to being flooded with horror and realization. He stumbled backwards, nearly falling.

Dean swiftly ran to the angel and grasped onto him tightly. His hand blindly found the largest wound and it came away with a thick film of blood. The Winchester looked into the angels eyes with intense amounts panic.

"C-Cas..." Deans voice trembled as he swallowed back a shout. Bringing Castiel down into a horizontal position on the floor, Deans eyes grazed over him with terror. The bodies around him vanished; all he could see was Cas. Battered, bleeding... dying.

"Keep... Keep pressure on it." The hunter placed his jacket over the wound on Cas's stomach, clenching his jaw as the angel cried out in pain.

"I know... I know it hurts like a bitch. But you have to do this. It's gonna stop the bleeding." He assured him. But it seemed like a blind promise. The sickly warm red liquid had already soaked his green coat. Dean pressed firmer but the jacket just slid around.

Dean sloppily took the dark haired head into his lap, moving the Angel as little as possible. A large red handprint was left in Cas's dark hair, but neither one took notice.

Cas's eyes fluttered shut as he gingerly placed a hand upon Deans on his abdomen, helping secure his pressure on the wound. Dean visibly relaxed at the touch.
The hunter leaned down near the angel's head with shoulders slumped over like he was heavily sobbing.

"How did this happen?" Deans whisper was thick and rough. "What did I do wrong?!" He watched helplessly as the white shirt was becoming nearly half and half of ivory and crimson.

Castiel's eyes opened and locked wearily onto Dean's.
"Nothing. It was my fault. I should have been more careful... There were to many." A weak cough followed. "Don't blame yourself... Not for this."

Dean could barely hold back the tears as he rested his forehead on his beloved angels. His hand trembled as he reached down and placed a soft touch on Cas's cheek.
"Just hold on. You're gonna make it... You can make it."

"I-I think I have some bandages in the car, I nee-" Dean was cut off by the angel shaking his head weakly.
"Don't leave. Please." He sighed heavily. Dean just nodded gently against his partners head.

Dean grunted as he picked up Castiel and moved him into his arms instead.

"Dean..." A voice dangerously soft and vulnerable voice was traveling from Cas's throat. "If this is the last time... I will see you..."

A single tear flowed down off Deans cheek and onto Castiel's forehead, pooling at the beginning of his brow. He sucked in a sharp breath. "Don't say that. You're gonna be fine."

Deans voice trembled slightly, but he was forceful.

"You'll see me again."

Weakly Cas motioned for him to be quiet. "If this is the last time... I want you... To know something."

"You can tell me in the car, damn it! Tell me later. You're gonna make it!" Dean defiantly raised his voice, trying to deny the truth.

"Dean, I'm dying."

The hunter shook his head in denial. "No... No. No you're not."

"Please... Let me say this..." Cas wearily motioned for Dean to come even closer. He leaned down into Cas, noses merely centimeters apart.
"Dean... Forgive yourself. I forgive you... Sam forgives you. You need to accept something." Castiel sputtered out a cough.
"You're a hero, Dean... N-not," another cough, followed by blood this time,
"not the villain."

Dean sloppily wiped the blood with the back of his hand and made a small distressed sound.

"But... Most of all... D-dean Winchester... I..."

Cas looked like the words he was trying to speak were physically hurting him, clawing at his throat and refusing to leave his lips. He sputtered the air from his throat, a sickly sound.

"Cas?!" Dean gently shook Cas's hand. "Castiel!"

Dean watched helplessly as Castiel's eyes glazed over and the final gentle wisp of life blew from his lungs.

"Cas...?" Deans voice echoed through the empty air as he searched Castiel's now lifeless eyes. His tears began dropping softly onto the others cheek, flowing like rivers.

Dean reached down, grazing his palms gently over Cas's eyelids, closing them peacefully.

He hugged the Angels head tightly and began to sob.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry... I'm so so sorry..." The apologies spilled off his tongue like the flow of a river.

Soon after, Dean laid his trembling lips to Castiel's, even though he knew he was far gone. It was cold but soft, and Dean was foolishly disappointed when Castiel's body didn't stir.

"I-I... I never... got to say..." Dean drew in a big breath, and closed his eyes. Pressing his cheek to the side of the others head, he uttered three simple but broken words into ears that would never hear them.

"I l-love you."

Dean Winchester moved his head away from Castiel's, cradling it gently. And he let out a bellowing heartbroken cry.

...so? What did you think? Leave your thoughts below (:
Should I continue writing these one shots?

VOTE|COMMENT|ENJOY