❀ Chapter 14 ❀

Start from the beginning

We all go up the stone stairs and through the heavy carved wooden doors into the grand entry hall. Edmund says, "Yes, the rest of the party is arriving tomorrow. I thought to get your daughter and niece's help before the rest of the guests descend upon us." I look up into his face and he winks at me. I hear the butler clear his throat and mumble something behind me. It sounds as if he doesn't fully approve of something.

"And this is my butler, Fields. He holds general disapproval for me, but will be exceedingly agreeable to everyone else. Please let him know if there is anything he can do to make your stay more pleasant." Fields bows to us and surprisingly has no reaction to Edmund's teasing. I can't help but smile at Fields, I am just so happy. The greying man seems a bit startled by the forwardness of my smile. His look makes me think I do not know the proper way to behave with servants. That is probably true, since I was practically raised by them.

There is a beautifully carved staircase that ascends to our right. Above the stair are portraits, which I assume are Edmund's ancestors. 

A kindly looking lady with salt and pepper hair tied up in a bun approaches us then. Edmund introduces her, "This is Mrs. Stewart, the housekeeper. Please let her know if you have need of anything during your stay with us. The footmen have brought your trunks to your rooms and Mrs. Stewart will show you where you are staying. Once you get settled feel free to rest for as long as you need, then come down whenever you are refreshed."

Mrs. Stewart leads the way up the stairs and I grin down at Edmund standing in the foyer as I follow. His hands are clasped behind his back and his eyes follow us all the way up. The housekeeper shows my aunt to her room first and I am surprised that her trunks are here in her room even though the footmen never passed us in the foyer. There must be a back staircase they have used. I noticed that Emily did not enter through the front door with us either, she just disappeared after we all got out of the carriage. Hopefully someone is also showing her to her room.

My aunt's room has burgundy colored wallpaper and ornately carved polished furniture. I'm trying not to let my mouth hang open but I think I have said, "it is so lovely" at least a dozen times since arriving. Everything smells fresh and clean. The woodwork sparkles with polish. My aunt definitely approves of her room, "I may need to do over a room in exactly this style. It is so fashionable."

Next the housekeeper shows Beatrice to her room which is a beautiful lavender colored bedroom with a view of the front drive. Bea's room is right next to her mother's. The walls have a painted flower mural along the ceiling. The furniture is painted white and the bedding is lavender and white. It smells faintly of citrus, lemon maybe. The whole room is so feminine and Bea is also clearly pleased with it, "Violet is my favorite color, it is like he picked it just for me!"

It is just Mrs. Stewart and me now as she leads down the hallway to a room on the backside of the house. She smiles kindly to me as she opens my room door and I gasp. The door she has opened reveals a room much larger than either my aunt or cousin's rooms. The entire room is wrapped in warm wood paneling which gives it a bit of a masculine feel. It might seem plainer, without the fancy wallpaper or murals but it just looks regal to me. There are several nice landscape paintings hanging on the paneled walls. The bed, desk, wardrobe and tables are made of rich, dark wood. The bed has four posts that nearly reach the ceiling. At the back of the room is a large bay window that looks out on the back gardens under which there is a padded bench and I think it would be a nice place to read. The bedding, curtains, and cushions are a rich green color with gold accents. There is a bouquet of lavender in a vase on the dresser and it has filled the room with the pleasing fragrance. It is the loveliest of the lovely rooms we have seen. 

I haven't set foot inside because I am sure there is some mistake. This room looks fit for someone important, this can't possibly be the room intended for me. Mrs. Steward doesn't look annoyed by my hesitation or the look of awe on my face. She tries to wave me in. I shake my head, "I am sure there must be some mistake. I am not special enough to stay in a room like this. Surely this is intended for one of the other guests who are arriving tomorrow?" The thought of Regina having this beautiful room makes me a bit sad.