Mr Munlow's Grocers

Mr Munlow's Grocer is candy-coloured pink and yellow. A vast contrast to the wrinkly, balding Asian man hunched behind the counter. Much like him, his shop had seen better days. Cracks lined the walls, the pathway in front of it had begun to crumble from the time a Draxtin member had been beaten up in front of it, and the bike rack was twisted and no longer usable. The shop itself, was barely hanging on. Physically. Financially too. As the last part time employee here, I consider myself lucky to still have a job. Last month Eve had been sent on her way. Before her departure Marie had been let go. Later that same day, the door banged close as Jack left too. Being within these crumbling walls, it always feels like a hidden timer was ticking down until I'd be let go too. No number of sweet smiles to our rare customer would be enough to keep me on if the money wouldn't allow it. His reassurances weren't enough to ease that fear either. Promises that we'd sink together or survive together, couldn't stop the rising tide of worries that continued to grow. The stack of job applications on my coffee table at home proved it. The sentiment of his words was sweet though, and I'd yet to muster the courage to begin to apply. Us three were connected. Him. Me. The building. I didn't want to let them go.My memories only went so far back. With the passing of time, my younger years seemed to fade into a void to make room for the new moments. On the odd occasion one of those 'forgotten' memories would surface. Each time, the memory took place near this building with its lemon and mint smell.

The weak ringing of the bell broke through my thoughts. Straightening, my eyes darted to the door and my hand reached for the baseball bat kept beside the till.Who would it be today? A rare loyal customer. Someone who'd accidentally stumbled upon us? Or perhaps another mage thinking we'd be easy to rob. "Welcome to Mr Munlows! Do you need any help today sir?" My eyes flickered over the duo staggering through the door, the raven-haired boy struggling to stay upright even with the blond's aid. My grip tightened on the bat. "Sirs?"

"We need medicine!"

"I'm sorry, we cannot get involved in helping wizards fighting each other."

Blue eyes, becoming lost in shadows formed by furrowed brows, snapped my way. "Seriously?"

"Yes."

"Are you mad? He's wounded!" 

The blond adjusted his friend and sank closer to the ground beneath the weight. "It's okay... Zen—" A pained cry twisted the raven's face. His legs shook. Together, the pair wobbled forwards and the blonds flailing hand scraped over the countertop, leaving bloodied fingerprints in its attempt to catch their fall. CRASH! Their bodies slammed into the floor. I flinched. Hefting the bat over my shoulder, I leaned over the counter and stared down at the pair. Blood. Both were covered in the stuff. I nudged the pair with the tip of the bat and neither one stirred.