Part 1 - The Return

Bette's point of view

I took off my high heels and threw the keys on the counter. Today had been rough. All the stress connected to work has really drained all my energy. I walked over to the couch to see Gigi passed out with a book covering her chest. Lately, I have been working late, and we haven't had time to really spend time together just me and her.

"You're home." said in a sleepy voice, her eyes still closed.

"Yeah, i'm sorry, it's late again. Too much to do at the gallery."

Gigi sat up slightly and pulled me down the couch into a hug. 

"It's okay baby. I know have a lot on your plate. How about I take you out tomorrow night, we could have dinner, get some drinks, and maybe..." 

"Maybe what?" I said as I smirked knowing exactly what she was hinting at. She grinned, pulled me closer, and kissed me. 

"I think that sounds like a great idea" I said, holding her chin and pecking her lips one more time. 

We got up to get ready for bed. I felt a relief laying down, cuddled up next to Gigi in our bed. She was so understanding of my working situation, and she barely ever complained about me coming home late or having to leave in a hurry when something came up with work. It's almost like I've found someone who really understands, but at the same time, it also feels like there is something missing. Someone says that love takes time and that it will take time to build something. We are both grown up and have our own professional careers. It should be perfect, and exactly what I want. I think it is. But I can't put my finger on what it is that I am lacking out of this relationship. As I've mentioned, it takes time. Right?

We got into bed, and I wrapped my hands around her waist.

"I love you," Gigi said, already almost asleep again.

I kissed her neck, inhaling her scent, in response to her words. We shortly after fell asleep.

.........

- The next day, 12 pm. lunch -

"That's enough Shane, I think we all know that you slept with her."  Alice rolled her eyes, after having another discussion about some random woman over at the other side of the café. 

"Have anyone spoken to Tina yet? Isn't she supposed to arrive today?" 

I felt my heart jump a little. I have barely heard from or spoken to Tina in 4 years, and no one else has brought her up in a long time since she has been living her own life in New York City. 

"Arriving? For what?" I asked, slightly confused. It seemed as if everyone but me seemed to be very informed about her coming over to visit L.A, but me. 

"Haven't you heard? She is moving back, Bette. With Carrie".  Shane said. Giving me a slightly confused look.

"Oh..." was all I managed to get out of my response.

"I'm surprised she hasn't told you, we are going to meet her as soon as they have settled into their new home. To have a catch-up or something." 

"Well, I guess it would be weird to invite their ex-wife in the presence of her current fiancé," I said crossing my arms. I guess it would be nice to hear from her, but I was certainly not interested in showing up at her house mingling with her fiancé. 2 years together, and now they are getting married already. I felt myself getting slightly annoyed by the thought, and I tried to remember that I shouldn't be bothered. I am in a happy relationship with Gigi, and we are doing so well together. I will not let my past feelings for Tina ruin that.

"I have to leave. I got a meeting in 30. I'll see you guys later."

"Hey, we are all going to Dana's (Shane's bar for those who haven't seen Gen Q) later tonight though, will you be there? And bring Gigi!" Alice said as I was getting up and ready to leave.

"We might be there, yeah. See ya." I responded, and left the coffee shop. 

We could definitely use a night out. I don't get together with my friends a lot either because of my work schedule, but I am hoping to be able to get more time to do so after my art exhibition next week.

---------

-At home, 6 pm.-

I dialed Gigi's number as I knew she was still lingering at work.

"Hey, it's me. Are you still up for dinner tonight?" I asked. 

"Babe, I don't think I'll make it tonight. Something came up, and I won't be home before at least in another 2 hours, maybe 3. It's Gary, he is being an absolute ass. I need to get things done before tomorrow. I'm sor-"

"No no, it's fine, we'll reschedule the dinner. No problem. And hey, don't let him treat you like shit. You are doing so much for them, and you are frankly the best at what you do. Kick their ass. Tell him to fuck himself if he still bothers you." I said jokingly, knowing she would do exactly that if it was necessary. Gigi is a very straight-forward woman, and that's one of the many things I liked about her.

"Hah, I wish I could, and thank you, Bette. I'll see you at home."

Call ended.

-----------

Dana's, 8 pm.

I scuffed the door open, and was hit with loud music, ringing my ears and the smell of alcohol and smoke. It has been a long time since i've went out to have a drink with my friends. I am one of those who feel like i've kind of grown out of that whole "party every night" thing, while Shane, Alice, etc. never did. But I love that they still go out, and embrace their personality. I wish I could go out more with them. It's something that i've been lacking since i've entered the owning and managing position of my gallery. 

"There you are! I didn't think you'd show up!" Alice screamed, giving me a hug.

"Why wouldn't I?" I said.

"Well you know,, you're just.. yeah, you haven't really been-"

"You are a workaholic who either works or stays at home fucking your new girlfriend, Bette. That's what Alice is saying". Shane said, passing me a mimosa. 

I feel old, and boring. My friends are just my age, but they still manage to do parties, hanging out, working and having a sex life at the same time. I mean, my job requires a bit more of my presence compared to my friends. But I am fine with that.

"Yeah yeah, get it over with. Cheers, homos!". I said raising my glass of mimosa.

"Cheers!" A familiar voice replied, but it didn't come from either Alice or Shane. I turned around to see Tina.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------