A hand rests on my shoulder "You okay Lake?" I smile because it's Maddox.

I turn to look at him "Ryder and I had our first argument? Fight? I honestly don't know what it was" I say with a sigh.

"You've both been drinking, I wouldn't worry too much about it" he says to make me feel better but it doesn't.

"Honestly, I feel like what he said has some truth to it. Or how he really feels at least"

"What did he say?" he asks and sips on his drink.

"He said that in our relationship he feels like he's living in Fowlin's shadow and is constantly being compared to him" he's quiet for a moment.

"Do you think he's right?"

I shrug "I don't know... I feel like I haven't compared them at all. They're so different and I like that, I like that Ryder is his own person. But maybe I do it without realizing it? I honestly don't know" he looks down at the jersey.

"Is that why? Because you're wearing his jersey" I nod.

"Yeah it's what sparked it"

"I can see where he's coming from and if it was anyone else I would agree with him. But, you and Fowlin grew up together, you were like family. It was more than just a relationship and if he can't understand that and it threatens him in anyway then that's on him... not you"

I rest my head on his shoulder "Thank you, I needed to hear that. I just hope he doesn't continue drinking too much because he's already drunk" he laughs.

I look behind me to see if I can spot him but he's inside somewhere. Maddox and I go back inside and I make myself another cocktail and try to let the buzz relax me more. I look around but don't see Ryder anywhere. So, I walk into the living room at all of the people dancing and I spot him across the room hanging with Cassie and the other cheerleaders.

She keeps touching his arm as they talk and laugh. I've never seen him like this with other girls, so I stand there and watch him. Cassie is trying so hard to flirt and catch his attention and when he finally gives it to her, I can see she's in heaven. She leans in and whispers in his ear which has him grinning and I hate the pool of jealousy I feel in the pit of my stomach.

I watch as she run sher manicured nails down the center of his chest and he doesn't make a move to stop her. If anything it looks like he's enjoying it along with the attention that she's giving him. It hurts to see him like this when he usually never pays attention to other girls or gives them the time of day. Maybe it's selfish of me to enjoy that but I do... it makes me feel special. Like I'm the only one he sees, because he's the only one I see.

She takes his hand and pulls him onto the dance floor. At first it's innocent as she shakes her hips and he dances along with her, but they're not touching or anything. My heart starts to race as she spins around, she now has her back to him and he goes in closer and holds onto her waist as she grinds against him. I start to feel sick so I push through the crowd and run to the bathroom upstairs. I go to the end of the hallway, quickly closing and locking the door behind me as I bend over the open toilet and throw up.

Barely anything comes out of me and after a minute or two I'm dry heaving. I flush it down and stand up, walking over to the sink where I wash my hands and rinse out my mouth. I wipe under my eyes where my makeup smeared and I take a good look at myself. I keep repeating over and over that he's just drunk and upset but why go dance with another girl? Why her?

I take a few deep breaths in and then let them out before I open the door. When I step out Jackson, the backup QB is leaning against the wall "Jesus, you scared me Jack" I say and go to walk past him but he blocks me.