Chapter 24 | nerves

"Isn't it exiting! So many years and you're finally able to see your parents again" Teddy smiled.

"I know, I'm so exited. I've missed them a lot" Ahkmenrah replied.

The exhibits were getting word of the upcoming event where Ahk's parents and a few other artefacts from the excavation were coming to the museum to be on display for a month or so. And because everyone in the museum was a rather nice person, they were all quite happy for their young pharaoh. As well as just being exited about all the new things happening in the museum after years of nothing much changing.

The space exhibit was set to be finished by next month, the visit of Ahk's parents, you joining the fun, there was a lot going on at the moment.

You just liked watching Ahk be happy as he rambled on to the others about how glad he was to see his parents again, although you'd admit that while you were happy for him too, you were beyond nervous.

These were ancient Egyptian ROYALTY you were meeting, sure Ahk was too and he was the best person ever. But it was still nerve wrecking to meet someone's parents, especially when they were royalty and from a time where dating, marriage and courting traditions were very very different. You wanted answers about the tablet, so either way you'd need to meet them weather your were Ahk's partner or not.

But god, it was scary. Ahk insisted they'd love you and they were good people, it was the fact you weren't royal or noble, or if any high class standing that worried you. The fact you'd never set foot in Egypt, the fact you'd never been to a royal function, the fact you were a regular old art student that happened to accidentally end up in the museum past dark and kiss their son.

You were a mere peasant compared to them, it worried you. What if they didn't like you? Thought less of you? Tore you and Ahk apart?

"(Y/n)!"

You snapped out of your daze, looking down to see the mischief making tiny cowboy on the desk by your sketchbook.

"Huh? Oh Jed, hey" you replied.

"Ya look like a stunned mullet, what ya off in the void about?" He asked

"Just the fact I have have to say 'Hi Ahk's royal parents, I'm a random art student of no real importance and I'm dating your son' in a few weeks"

"Ah, it'll be fine. At least it's not his brother, believe me you don't wanna meet him. I did, real whack-job"

Ah yes, you were told about the mess at the Smithsonian. How Jed ended up almost dead under a rush of sand in an hour glass, how Octavius managed to wrangle a squirrel to save him, how Kahmunrah almost got his goal of opening up the underworld. What a mess that was, glad you didn't have to be there for that.

You'd probably have gotten yourself killed trying to strangle Kahmunrah for what he did to Ahkmenrah all those years ago.

"Well yeah, at least it's not Kah. But man, meeting parents is freaky even when they're regular old humans. But pharaohs? I'm gonna faint in fear" you said.

"If they're anything like Ahky, you'll be fine. Surely they must be good people if they managed to raise Ahk. Kah was just... the odd one out of the family. Don't sweat it kimosabe" Jed replied.

"Easier said than done, what if you had to meet Octavius' parents? Big powerful Roman generals?"

"I mean meeting anyones parents is a little nerve racki- hey what's that meant to mean? You callin me Oct's arm candy?"

"You are though aren't you?"

Jedediah was silent for a moment. He knew that the relationship he and Octavius had was definitely a more than friends ordeal, it's just none of them had really addressed it yet. Octavius being Roman was used to men-on-men relations. Greece and Rome in those days were very casually bisexual, it was seen as strange if you DID'NT kiss a man at least once in your life. Jedediah on the other hand was from a time where being queer was very looked down upon. Sure they had their secret little underground communities of gay cowboys, but being open about it was seen as taboo.

It'd always been obvious to everyone watching Jed and Octavius grow closer that the whole time period different in queer views was one of the things keeping them from fully admitting their true feelings. Octavius would be fine with it, it was normal to him, but clearly Jed was worried about what people would say. And probably has a bit of internalised homophobia to work though.

"Well..." Jed muttered.

"Hun I promise you literally no one in the museum would even bat an eye. We... all kind of expect it to happen sooner or later. I mean look at you two, always together and saving each other from danger" you replied.

"It's not that simple man, there's... strings attached"

"Look I know there's the whole time period thing but you guys are living museum exhibits in the 21st century. In New York too, one of the more accepting states. It can be scary to say it out loud, especially when there's all this history of pain and suffering, but I can promise you that within the walls of this museum? It'll all be ok"

The cowboy thought for a moment, you did have a point. It was a whole new era, one of progression too. There was still a long way to go for rights, but it was a lot better than the old west times. And the fact Octavius was born in an era of causal bisexuality meant he definitely wouldn't bat an eye either.

They both knew they had something, someone just needed to say it out loud. 

"I mean... let's be honest. Look at me, if Ahk looked at me and decided 'yes I'll date that one' he's gotta be a liiittlleee... ya know" you joked, flicking your wrist.

Jed snickered, you had a point there too. If you were wandering around the museum, Ahk practically worshiping the ground you walked on, then surely no one would bat an eye at a tiny cowboy and Roman kissing a little bit.

"Well... maybe I can chat with him" Jed admitted.

"Yes, do it. I need to see this relationship happen you two have been killing me" you replied.

"Oi don't you turn all crazed internet fan blog on us, I've seen what you modern humans do on those computers"

Uh oh, who let the museum exhibits discover what shipping was? Who gave them unrestricted internet access? They'd probably seen some things even some modern humans raised an eyebrow at.

"I hope you two aren't plotting to almost knock my artefacts off their stands again" Ahkmenrah said, coming up to join the conversation with you.

"Nah just talking about how I'm low key worried to meet your parents... and some gay stuff" you replied.

"Both valid discussions, although I promise you my guardian, it's be fine. My parents will love you"

"See? Told ya. Even the man himself thinks it'll be fine" Jed agreed.

"Yeah I guess I'll just have to suck it up and do it. I want answers about the tablet anyway" you said.

Ahkmenrah gave you a smile, and soft squeeze of your hand to reassure you it'd be ok. You gave him a loving smile back, appreciating his reassurance.

"Now... what about this gay stuff? Am I sensing a relationship?" Ahk teased, eyeing down Jedediah.

"Yeah Jed, you gonna do it?" You added.

The cowboy gave you both a glare, looking up at you towering over him.

"If y'all weren't so damn tall I'd have whacked ya on the back of the head by now. Don't tease, I'll get to it... eventually..."