44. Supernatural

Eli and Cassie wouldn't allow Quinn to go to the police station to pick Adam up, and they certainly couldn't go themselves. They'd have a lot more explaining to do than just how a man kidnapping a woman got out to go back to the woman he supposedly kidnapped who also happened to live in his home with him. They'd have to explain why a man who was supposedly dead for years not only wasn't, but still looked like he was no older than his son. What a mess that would be.

Instead, Michael was picking him up and taking Nia Payne with him. Michael was playing security guard again, because no one knew where Marc was staying, and they didn't know who else he would target. If he knew about Nia, was she in danger as well? Even though both vampires could take care of themselves, they weren't taking any risks.

"Quinn, sweetheart, no need to pace. We put the house up for collateral. They don't do cash bail anymore. They thought that was just buying freedom ages ago. Too many bail jumpers. Nia is handing in his passport, which he probably needs to update anyway, not that he is going to be using it any time soon. It's a pittance, but if it makes them feel better..." Eli let that thought drift off and ran a hand through his hair before looking over at Cassie. She was warming up some blood for Adam. He wasn't a young vampire, and with age and the mating bond came less of a need for the beverage, but he had been at the police station for over 24 hours and was probably thirsty. He might not have touched the food there, and she needed something to occupy herself. So, sustenance for her son it was.

No one could blame her. Eli was running his hand over his face so often and worrying his lip so much he looked like he was the one going to be on trial someday. Possibly. Maybe. He just didn't know.

"I know, but I can't sit still." She's gone from standing, to sitting, to pacing, just waiting on Nia to text someone at the house that they had him in the car and were heading home.

In the little time they had waited for Adam to obtain bail, they had also hired a lawyer, though he was out of town and not able to get the police station as of yet. He was already hired, because he'd helped out a few of PMM's employees before. He was a top-notch defense attorney, and he was already at work, though out of the state.

"He's fine. Nia should be picking him up at any moment." Cassie's phone went off as soon as she stopped speaking, as did Eli's and Quinn's. Quinn almost dropped her phone trying to get to the notification. She was the one who spoke first.

"He's out!" She clasped her phone to her chest and started to sob. "Thank God!"

Eli and Cassie exchanged a quick glance, but they knew her tears were relief and not sadness. They were grateful he was out, but worried about what the future held. In the next few moments, Cassie moved back into the kitchen to start warming up some blood for Adam. Quinn sat down, head in her hands with her elbows propped on her knees. Eli took a seat as well and started to root through the contacts list on his phone. Most of the people on there he couldn't talk to because to them he was dead, but he had a few vampire associates who he could send a message off and spread the word of Adam's release. He was going to spin it as a libel campaign against the company if he had to—even if the kidnapping actually did occur.

What a fucking mess, he thought to himself with a sigh. The last thing he wanted was his son to be caught in the middle of some scandal while he was trying to bond with a mate he had to wait for—wait for but was right there in his grasp! It seemed like nothing in his or his son's mating would come easy. It was like bad luck followed them both around just waiting for an opportunity to fuck one of them over. It was like they were cursed. He kind of wondered about that, but didn't know any witches now that could tell him. Most had passed on, even after the coven he was close to moved to a different part of the state, somewhere close to Bakersfield or Fresno.