Chapter 21

News had come that foreign ships had been seen in the seas near the Reach. There were a good number of ships, nearing twenty to thirty. All of them flew the sigil of House Targaryen. Aegon Blackfyre had made his appearance for the first time, just as Edric had expected of him.

It would have been seen as suspicious if news from beyond the seas had altogether stopped, so Edric had Qyburn continue the exchanges, feeding false information here and there to lure the enemy in. It worked. Qyburn had informed his King that Aegon would be attacking, as suggested by 'Varys'. They sailed from The Disputed Lands towards Sunspear to add the Dornish numbers to their ones. But when they got close enough to Sunspear, they found the Royal fleet and ships of House Hightower and House Redwyne waiting for them. The battle began even before ships touched land, half their numbers cut off with ease by the fleet that awaited them. Those that did reach land were soon cut down by the ground troops. Aegon was taken prisoner and presented to Edric, who waited for him in Sunspear.

It was a surprising turn of events for the young Aegon, who fumed at the sight of the 'usurper's' son. He wasn't alone either, for with him was Lord Tywin Lannister and another man with blonde hair and blue eyes. "Welcome to Sunspear, Aegon Blackfyre" King Edric spoke with a sweet smile. "Please be seated."

"Unhand me" Aegon snatched himself from the grip of the men that had brought him here. "How did you know that we were coming here? Where's Lord Doran?"

"Easy there. Sit and let's talk" the King's smile irked Aegon, but he sat with a look of anger. "To answer your first question, we always knew what was happening to you, about your plans, the exact numbers and who supported you. Lord Varys was a loyal man of yours till the end" the man spoke and smirked when Aegon's brows rose in realization. "As for your second question, he's been disposed of" Edric shrugged. "Lord Anders Yronwood is the new Prince of Dorne, as a reward for his support in taking down House Martell and its allies."

It was a messy but effective affair. A discreet agreement had been sent to Lord Anders Yronwood, which stated that he would be given the title of Prince should he assist Edric in conquering House Martell. There had always been friction between Houses Yronwood and Martell since Nymeria's War to conquer all of Dorne. Edric had used that friction, but it did not come easy. Dorne as a whole did not favour House Baratheon for how Elia Martell was killed, so Edric had to be careful with this. He promised Gregor Clegane and Amory Lorch to them, to do whatever they deemed was appropriate to the two in retaliation. He did not extend the same offer to House Martell because they blamed it all on Tywin Lannister and wanted his head. That was known.

Edric had gained himself a reputation of being someone who would not hesitate to do the difficult thing for justice, a show it being him executing his own mother. Lord Anders though wanted more than just the two men and the title of Prince. And his proposal after deliberation was accepted by all on the Small Council.

"Of course, I was not alone, your Grace" Lord Anders, now Prince Anders spoke. "Houses Blackmont, Jordayne, Qorgyle, Wyl and Dayne also played their part. House Martell had not been well received in quite a while, so gaining the support of these houses was easier than I expected."

"Of course, never forget those that help you in trying times such as this" Edric nodded, now leaning forward. "Aegon Blackfyre,"

"I am a Targaryen! Not a fucking Blackfyre!" the young man slammed his fist on the table. Edric did not so much as flinch.

"I see" he took a deep breath. From his Lord Tywin, he took the letter that Edric had brought and placed it before the enraged man. "I'm sure you recognize Illyrio's handwriting. Or was it Jon Connington who usually read the letters? It's a shame what happened to him. Greyscale is a painful way to die."

"Shut up" Aegon snatched the letter away from Edric. Jon Connington had died a few months before they had set sail for Westeros. The Greyscale had not gotten better, so the man had taken his own life to protect his king. Walked the plank while also gutting himself. A burial at sea.

Edric ripped the letter open and read through it. The more he read the redder his face got. When he was done, he tore the letter up. "You lie! I am Rhaegar Targaryen's son! You spout these lies to defame me."

"Say what you want but these letters were found in Varys' chambers, hidden in ways nobody would even notice. I was lucky that Varys' replacement is as good if not better than the mummer" he shrugged. "The facts don't change, you are the son of Illyrio Mopatis and his wife, a Blackfyre descendant and Varys' sister. Varys wanted to put you on the Throne because through you he would have a firmer hold on the Realm. But that's not why I've brought you here" he slapped the table and stood. "You have three choices, one you lose your head here, or you go to the Wall till your day's end."

"And what is this third option that you offer me?" Aegon questioned through gritted teeth.

"Bend the Knee to me and swear fealty. I'll find you lands and the honours that come with it" Edric explained simply. But to Aegon, it was not so simple. The young man rose, meeting the young King's eyes with hate-filled anger.

"You spread lies about my name, deceive me into attacking and then expect me to bend the knee to you?" he roared. "I demand a Trial by Combat! Whoever wins will sit on the Throne."

"I think you forget that you're not in any position to make any sort of demands," Edric said blandly, "but a Trial is in your right. Very well then. We shall fight in the yard for all to see. So when I carry your head out no whispers could be spread that I deprived you of your right."

Edric walked first, followed by the guards that had a firm hold on Aegon, and then the rest. The grounds outside cleared when the King came out and then at his word enough space was made, with the men forming a circle around them. Aegon's sword was returned to him, the ancestral sword of House Targaryen making its appearance once more after decades. The men were in awe, more so because it would be a battle of Valyrian Sword against Valyrian Sword with Edric using Nightsong. They each took their stance and when the call to begin was given, they both charged.

Aegon was more than just good with the sword. He was taught by a Knight, and trained amongst fighters of greater or lesser standing, be it warriors, sellswords or lesser warriors. He did not fight in the traditional Westerosi way, something Edric was not used to. But the King was nothing if not a man who could adapt in battle. Ser Barristan's teachings had seeped into his very being, as had those of Ser Jaime. Every move was deftly countered, every step mirrored. Neither side showed any weakness towards the other, both getting hits against the other, both making the other bleed. But neither gets a clean slice to end the battle.

It went on for hours like that, sword hitting sword. The music was Valyrian Steel clashing was different, like a sad song being sung by a talented maid. Nobody moved, nobody took their eyes off of the fighters. They saw no easy victor, a battle of equals. The only thing that could end this was fate. And fate showed its favour in the smallest manner.

Aegon's heel fell on a rock and twisted under him. The man fell back and Edric's sword met its mark. The head fell before the body hit the ground. Edric was the victor, but only by the smallest of margins.

"Well fought, your Grace" Lord Tywin congratulated his King and grandson, handing him a piece of cloth to dry his sweat.

"Thank you... Lord Tywin" Edric panted, leaning on his sword. Now that the fight had ended, the adrenaline had faded and the effects of fighting for so long had started taking their toll on him. "Take the sword. That is ours. Whatever remains in Sunspear and the holds that allied with House Martell are for our Dornish allies to take" he stood straight and sheathed his sword. "Tell the men to clear up and rest. We travel to Yronwood in the morning. My new bride will be joining us on our journey back to The Capital."

----

Okay, a big apology because this chapter is not as good as I wanted it to be. I tried but there wasn't much I could do with it. It's a two-year time skip since the last chapter, so Edric right now is 21 stepping into 22. He marries Lord Yronwood's daughter as the extra demand by Anders Yronwood, as you could have guessed. She's three years younger than Edric.