~16~

Enid woke up the following morning with a familiar tight feeling in her chest. She was still lying in Davy Jones' bed, but the captain was missing from his place beside her. She sat up in bed but immediately gasped when her heart clenched painfully, and she grasped her chest.

I need Jones. She leapt out of bed and barged through the cabin's doors, stepping onto the deck with a wild look in her eyes. Some of the crew members looked at her in surprise when she appeared, but they quickly averted their gaze when they recognized the look of fear on her face.

"Enid!" Jones. She rushed up the steps towards the helm, sighing in relief when she saw the captain standing next to the helmsman. He opened one arm for her as she hurried forward, and she latched onto his side tightly as the painful feeling in her chest ebbed away.

"Did you feel it, my dear?" he asked her quietly, leaning down closer to her ear so only she could hear him. "Yes...it felt like something terrible was going to happen, and it hurt very much..." she replied, leaning into the captain more for comfort.

He held her tighter in response and looked back out at the ocean, his gaze sharp. "Whoever has my heart has been toying with it. We're sailing for Port Royal now, I can feel the tension growing stronger," he told her. Enid froze at Jones' words and took a step back to look up at him.

She had not stepped foot on populated land in nearly 20 years, since she sailed away on the condemned ship that allowed the sirens to rescue her. Port Royal, of all places... Enid glanced up at Davy Jones, who was still staring out at the sea ahead of them.

His emotionless face was plagued with a look of genuine fear, an expression Enid had not seen in quite some time. She squeezed him a little tighter, making him shut his eyes and lower his head. "I won't let anything happen to you, my love..." she whispered.

Davy Jones turned to look at her, and she frowned at the intense sadness in his eyes. This is all my fault, she reminded herself. "Do me a favour, my love," he told her, straightening out slowly. "Head to Port Royal...try to see if ye can find whoever's got me heart, then come back to me."

Enid nodded once and stretched her wings out, making any surrounding crewmates jump back in fright. "I will be back," she said, then leapt into the air. Enid flapped her wings as fast and as hard as she could, propelling through the clouds.

It wasn't long until land began to fade into view, and Enid slowed as she approached. Not much about Port Royal had changed, and Enid could recognize the main street that led to the public marketplace. She gasped when she felt another painful clench in her chest, making her falter.

Enid cautiously flew closer to the island as the pain increased, making her grit her teeth. She could see a rather tall castle-like building standing out among the rest, and there were men standing on the balcony. They wore white wigs, stockings and heeled shoes, and there were guards at every door.

They have it. She narrowed her eyes a little as she inspected the few men she could see. One looked to be in rags but still stood tall with importance, and he looked vaguely familiar to her, but her sights were set on the shorter, smug looking man. Who are you...?

She dared to fly a little closer to the building, her gaze set on the shorter, familiar man. Once she neared, however, his smug face suddenly became clearer, and she stopped dead in her tracks. Oh, dear gods no, no! 

She flew away from Port Royal before anyone could spot her in the sky and returned to the Flying Dutchman, which was not far. She landed once more at the helm and quickly retracted her wings, hurrying over to an impatient Davy Jones. 

"Well? Did ya find it?" he asked her anxiously. "Yes...I know who has it," she announced, loud enough for the rest of the crew to hear. "The East India Trading Company." Jones let out a yell and slammed his claw down on the rail beside the helm, making the helmsman jump, but he did not leave his post. 

"To the sea!" he yelled. The Flying Dutchman then dove underwater, and Enid felt her legs bind together to form her tail. She swam alongside the Flying Dutchman as the island which Port Royal sat upon approached. That cannot be who I think it is... 

When the Flying Dutchman rose above the water, Enid propelled herself forward and sprouted her wings just as she broke through the surface. She hovered above the Flying Dutchman as they stopped beside the building that overlooked the water. 

From this distance, Enid could clearly recognize both men she had seen earlier, and a newfound fury was ignited within her. The man that battled against Will Turner...and Cutler Beckett. From below on the Flying Dutchman, Davy Jones reluctantly removed his hat at the sight of his heart in the hands of his new master. 

He looked up at Enid from where she hovered above his ship for a moment before lowering his head. Enid felt her blood boil in her veins, mixed with her shared sadness for her beloved, the longer she stared down at the two men on the balcony. 

Beckett looked up into the sky when he noticed movement, and he hummed in curiosity when he spotted the winged woman. "It is curious as to how a woman can be part of the Flying Dutchman, but considering how she is yet another freak of nature it is of no surprise," he spat out in disgust.

Davy Jones looked up at Enid when Beckett turned his gaze to the sky. "Enid!" he called to her. She looked down at him in confusion, which gave Beckett the perfect moment to strike. A boat had been sent out on the water, by Beckett's command, and the men on board fired their guns at Enid.

She screeched when her wings were pierced, and she fell through the air when her wings shriveled up against her back. "ENID!!" Without hesitation, Davy Jones leapt over the rail and dove into the water, ignoring his men's protests.

He pushed himself to swim as fast as he possibly could, with his claw arm and deformed leg and heavy coat. A net was thrown into the water where Enid had been floating, and he screamed again when she was pulled away.

He was suddenly being grabbed and pulled back, but he fought as hard as he could to reach her. "Enid!!" Despite being underwater, his voice was loud and crisp, which prompted the woman to wake up from her brief lack of consciousness.

Enid lashed out at the net as she was dragged away from the Flying Dutchman, but each move she made only tangled her more. She was then lifted into the air, where she shrieked again at the feeling of the rough cords scraping against her sore body. 

Her injured wings still flapped desperately, but only for a moment before another shot was fired at them, and she cried out again. "ENID!!" She glanced back at the Flying Dutchman, where Davy Jones was prepared to leap over the rail once more, but his men held him back. 

Hot tears began to spill down her face as she was lowered onto the deck of the strange ship, her body trembling in agony. The net was cut away from her form, allowing her to curl up in a ball and hug herself as she trembled. 

Two shadows fell over her form, and she looked up into the eyes of Cutler Beckett. Will Turner's foe was behind the shorter man, and his eyes were wide in shock as he stared down at Enid. "Well...I certainly did not think I'd ever see you again," Beckett sneered. 

Enid gritted her teeth and bared her fangs at the man, but he merely chuckled. "Oh yah? Well, I'm glad it's you," she hissed out. Some of the other men gathered around as she slowly sat up, her tattered wings wrapping around herself.

"At least now I can tell you to your face that you're a coward. But, by sacrificing me to the Kraken on that fateful day, it has allowed me to reach a new level of power that you will never achieve." Beckett chuckled a little louder at her taunt, completely unfazed, and he glanced back at the other man. 

"Yes, because my taste in women is 'abominations of the sea', or whatever the hell you have done to yourself now." Enid visibly flinched at the man's words and hugged herself even tighter. "The only abomination walking this earth is the sorry excuse of a man that is you..." she spat out hatefully, turning her head away. 

Back in the arms again of the British Army...

~~~~~

0.0 another plot twist?