Chapter 25

"The fuck is that supposed to-" Toji asked.

"It's a mushroom!" I explained before unscrewing the top and tossing the whole bottle in front of us.

The air vibrated with enormous pressure. Boarded-up windows rattled and random spots of concrete were sliced open. I spotted a ladder up a building and scrambled, yelling at Tojii to c'mon. Once we were on the roof and I realized I may have just trapped us.

"Please tell me you have a plan." He says.

I walked up to the edge and noticed that two buildings down there was a ladder to the ground. Those lashes to the surrounding buildings were slowing down so there wasn't much time.

"We're jumping."

"What? Fuck no-"

"WE'RE FUCKING JUMPING." I bellowed at him.

His eyes widened as I got another bottle of fungicide ready. After a second of gathering every bit of bravery I had in my body I sprinted towards the edge of the building. Bunching my legs, I jumped over the distance between them rolling on the other side with a less than graceful landing. I heaved myself up, ignoring the ache in my legs, and yelled at the stunned Toji on the other building. My heart was bursting out of my chest as the adrenaline rushed through me. I coughed, choking on my heaving breaths.

"Come the fuck on! Move!" I shouted at Toji

He glanced to his side and sprinted toward this building. I have no idea if the monster was chasing after him but I sprayed just behind him anyway so that thing could potentially slow down. Based on the loud crack of a trash can below my hunch was correct. Toji landed more gracefully than me and kept running to the next building. I followed after him. After we jumped to the next building we find the ladder. I climbed down and walked into the busy street, waiting for my phone to reorient itself. Toji grabbed my hand and walked forward.

"You know where we are?"

"Not a damn clue. Is your phone done rerouting?" He asked.

"Yea we gotta cross that light."

We walked for a few more blocks and I felt something wrap around my waist.

"To-"

I got yanked for a few feet before Toji pulled out a knife from god knows where and sliced between me and the rest of the alleyway. Afterward it was silent. Toji lowered his stance, his eyes cutting all over the place as he focused. He sliced and this time I could hear the faint sound of something falling. I hid behind him, trembling. My mouth felt like sandpaper as panic started to overwhelm me. He glanced at me and looked forward. His aura changed from defensive to offensive.

"Stay there." He said.

I handed him a mask and he looked confused.

"Spores. I don't know if he's doing that right now but you'll need it. Maybe."

I stepped back. At first, it looked like Toji was doing physically impossible acrobatics. Jumped off of things that weren't there. Getting pushed back, slamming things into places and the like. As the fight went on, I could see the outline of the monster. I tried to swallow but it didn't help. I coughed a little bit and I saw it...teeny tiny black spots.

The girl with black pooled around her eyes...was that when it happened?

I pulled out my phone, trembling as I typed. Flashes of everything that happened to Akko washed over me as I tried to stay calm.

Y/N:

Satoru...I think I swallowed the spores. I don't know how but-