𝙎𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣

Start from the beginning

Years would go by before she could think of her brother and not tear up as she wondered where he could be on this Earth, if he was still with that girl he ran off with, and if he still to that day believed he made the right choice. These thoughts racing though Elizabeth's head not surprisingly conjure up the last interaction with him.

2 years ago Elizabeth found herself in the middle of the war, having seen things she could not have imagined. Aspiring to be a nurse, she always knew she would have to deal with injuries and sickness, yet it never turned her away as her desire to help people trumped all else.

But nothing in this world could have prepared the girl for the sights of war and the injuries that came along with it. She trained to treat broken bones and do minor surgery, not help stuff a man's insides back into his half blown off body. Immediately she was thrown into the front lines to care for the men fighting for her country, moving station to station. Every day for years Elizabeth would wake up from the couple hours of sleep she would get a night to trying to save the life of a man, one after the other like clockwork. No two injuries were alike, especially for the men out front, meaning every time an injured man got laid in front of the blonde haired girl she could never guarantee his life would be saved or not.

Death was everywhere; Beside her, behind her, laying in front of her. Coping with the death was what Elizabeth struggled the most with. Not being able to save the person who needed her chipped away at the girl's fragile heart. And day by day her list of lives not saved grew. Death became an inevitable part of her everyday life, enough that eventually the sight of dead bodies didn't even make her blink. But that was mostly because if or when she did close her eyes, all she saw was what she could only describe as hell.

Twice every year was a front line nurse guaranteed no work, that is if they made it that far. Many nurses, some in which the girl managed to befriend, lost as well. Talks about the men dying was all she ever heard, and nothing about the women lost. The women who too so bravely stepped up and put themselves in grave danger, ignored.

Although it was her day off, there wasn't much she could do. It wasn't like she could go anywhere nice, because there weren't any nice places to go anymore. Most women took their day to simply sleep a full eight hours and get three proper meals. As the sun rose, so did Miss. Alder. Not to say she didn't try to sleep in, but old habits die hard.

She soon found her way to the food hall in which she found a vacant table and sat down. Usually she would go straight to the counter and collect a bag of food and eat as she head to the tents, but today was different.

The sounds of chatter fill the room and a cup and saucer are placed in front of her, "Tea or coffee ma'am?"

"Tea please", she responds without looking up.

A little silver tea pot soon placed in front of her, milk and sugar following after. "Anything to eat?", the woman asks her.

"After my tea would be lovely", she says and the women gives a nod and walks away.

As she pours the tea into the small cup, an uneasy feeling washes over the girl. Her head shoots up as she looks around the room. The feeling of a pair of eyes on her was unmistakable, but where they were was a mystery. Just as she began to convince herself she was just being paranoid, a glimpse of a man's eyes looking at hers causes her to revert them back .

Although all the way across the large hall room, Elizabeth found herself undoubtedly looking into the eyes that reflect her own. The Alder eyes were this unique swirl of brown and green; much like a radiating brown sun warmed with inner gold that was wrapped in a pale green, almost grey blanket. Unmistakable would be the singular word to describe them, and there were only three people, including herself, she had known to have them. The others being her Father and brother, and unless she was seeing the dead, it only left one viable option to who's eyes were meeting hers.