~The Selection P1 (Kam)~ (the selection crossover)~

En başından başla

I smile at her. Half to be nice, but half to test the waters of Biana's contestants. Biana smiles back nervously, and the girls around her whip their heads to glare at her. I barely resist snorting with amusement. They seem pleasant, I think to myself, shooting Biana a quick look.

Biana glares at me as if to say, Yeah, no kidding.

Lady Galvin sighs. "The girls are almost done with their lunch, Prince Song. If you could come back at a later date-"

"I'm done," Biana says abruptly, slamming her silverware onto the table. She unsurprisingly receives more glares.

Lady Galvin eyes Biana, then me, and Biana again. She lets out another sigh. "Fine. Miss Vacker may talk with the prince first."

The first time the prince meets the girls, he must take a few minutes each to get to know them. Biana has volunteered, even though we know each other well already. I lead her over to the couch and she takes a seat, smoothing her dusky purple dress over her knees.

"I'm sorry," Biana blurts out immediately. Her teal eyes are wide with distress. "I didn't want to enter. I don't want..." She vaguely gestures to me and the other girls and the walls around us. "This." She dips her head in shame. "My Father made me. He said if I enter I can-" Biana's words catch in her throat, and her dark skin pales.

"He said if I enter, he wouldn't make me marry a man of his choosing," Biana whispers. Tears well in her eyes. "And all the men he had his eye on were-"

"His friends?" I guess. A wave of sympathy washes over me. I am lucky to be the one choosing who I married in this situation.

"What happens if you don't get picked?" I ask. Biana sniffles and grips her knees tightly, like she's bracing herself.

"He'll get his choice," Biana answers hopelessly. "I know you aren't going to pick me, but I didn't know what else to do."

I gently place my hand on hers. "Don't worry. I know what you mean. I'm on your side. I will drag this out as long as I possibly can to keep you from facing your father. I promise."

Biana manages a small smile. "You would do that?"

A blush makes its way onto my cheeks. "Yes, of course. You'll be the last to leave. And when I become king, it will all be different. You'll be able to marry anyone you like after I get the crown. Be it, prince or princess."

Biana smiles and blushes slightly crimson. "Um, is-"

"Linh here?" I smirk. "No, unfortunately. She's swimming with the fishes."

Biana's eyes widen and her skin pales even more. I chuckle. "No, sorry! That's not what I meant. She's away at our summer mansion, scuba diving next to a volcano."

Biana chuckles weakly. "You're insufferable, Songbird."

"You too, Beauty Queen."

Lady Galvin clears her throat and glares at me. I glance over at the other girls, obviously staring at us with daggers for eyes. I've been talking to Biana for ten minutes at least.

Biana slunks off to her chair, giving me one last smile. I smile back, glad to have a friend in the game that isn't trying to get in my pants.

"Who's next?" Lady Galvin drones. "Um, Miss Foster?"

An unfamiliar girl stands up. She is tall and thin, almost as tall as me with golden blonde hair to her elbows. She wears a bloodred dress and a timid expression that reminds me of a scared little bird. She sets herself onto the couch carefully and turns to me with nervous brown eyes.

"Um, hi. My name is Sophie Foster," Sophie mumbles. I nod and flash a kind smile.

"You seem nervous," I notice. Sophie grants me a weak grin.